Abanded Houses & Buildings Filled With Antiques...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, May 15, 2020.

1. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

I have been noticing a lot of youtubers have been doing something called "urban exploring". I enjoy watching them film abandoned houses. Some houses have all their former owner's things left behind, just sitting there for decades with no living family members left to claim any of the stuff. It does sadden me to see the deceased people's things being rifled through.

I watch just to see how many cool antiques I can spot. Most of the people filming are jerks that are trespassing, but I like just looking anyway to see the beautiful old things.

What would cool things have you noticed that were left behind in some of these videos besides cobwebs?

**I think the videos can only be played if you click on each title which will take you to YouTube. This is good for passing the time during Covid19 lock down if you are bored.

@22:59 into the video I see an old early 20th century tin toy train, a red 1930's? tin toy windup sedan touring car of some kind and a gun that might be real or a toy. @25:23, that is an old mold to make doll parts. Looks like it is from circa 1900's-1930's. There were a bunch of old photos and war documents, etc...

@14:49 and @16:25 I love those antique urns/vases
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNiOFieE-mI&t=889s

OMG! Look at those marble statues and the taxidermy tiger! A lot of the pieces look like antique reproductions, but they are cool nonetheless. The guys filming this were annoying as hell though, lol:

Another interesting old place:

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    kyratango and Miscstuff like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I didn't watch more than a minute or two but have to say I'm not happy to see that people are going onto property they don't own to rifle through other peoples things. Hopefully they have permission. I'm assuming they take what they want too.

(Some of my mom's most treasured family things were taken from from where stored in the house of a property they owned. No one was living in the house but it didn't mean they wanted it invaded.)

3. SYNCHRONCITY

I'm sorry about what happened to your mom. That is a shame and makes me sad to hear. Trust me I agree with you. A lot of these people are probably too stupid to realize that they could be arrested for trespassing. I am not a fan of the people filming. I just like the old stuff inside.

Some of these places really look like nobody's been in them for decades. Where are the people or family members that own the properties and how did these places sit there like that for decades with nobody removing their possessions? I wonder who owns these old places if all the owners passed on and there are no surviving family members?

I just think it is amazing to see some of the beautiful things left behind like a time capsule. I like watching just to see all these interesting old things. The sad part is a lot of these old places get bull dozed and all these treasures get destroyed or tossed into dumpsters because they are abandoned and there are no living family members left to claim them.

If they end up tearing these old places down and all the contents get thrown out, too bad a historical society or local museum cannot put these items on display for everyone to enjoy for many generations to come.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

All I can hear is my dads voice saying "if it isnt yours then you shouldnt be touching it!" . He was also big on "hands in your pockets" in a store .I too like watching those videos but would never dare to set foot in one,after all,it isnt mine .Those childhood lessons stick for life,dont they ? :)

5. SYNCHRONCITY

Me too! When I was watching these videos, I was yelling at the screen "Hey, put that back where you found it".;) We never forget what our parents taught us.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Many years ago I think the 1970s I was walking along abandoned railroad tracks and came to a house along the tracks. The wrecking ball was going to be used in an hour or so to demolish the house. I asked the construction crew if I could take a quick look inside. They were on lunch break and said I could. The first thing I noticed was all of the Depression Glass in the kitchen. There were things everywhere. I grabbed what I could. There were several large plastic buckets in the yard. I filled them with all the glass I could. I set aside 8 buckets full. There was only enough time to search the kitchen. I looked in the living room and noticed that all of furniture was there. The guys asked me to clear out since they had work to do. I watched them knock down the house and smash everything into the basement. I was really interested in who owned the house. Went to the city clerks office and looked up the house. It was a rental for several years until WWll. It was rented by a couple until the War started and they left everything one night and never returned. The railroad owned the house and went out of business in 1947. I always speculated that the couple who disappeared where German spies since they took nothing with them. My imagination was quite vivid back then. I have always wondered what else was in the house.
    greg

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Interesting.

There are some Belgian teens who have a whole channel devoted to deserted house exploration. They're always respectful and genuinely seem to love what they're doing. Plus, they never take anything. But yes, they are trespassing.

Anyway, one house they explored had something like 10 pianos in it. On one stair landing was a Renaissance Revival pier mirror worth somewhere north of $1K U.S. They left everything in place, but I was secretly hoping SOMEONE would take the mirror out and rescue it.

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm thinking that even if things are left.....someone viewing the pickings will probably make a visit.

Ghopper1924 and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  9. SYNCHRONCITY

That is such a cool story! I loved it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. SYNCHRONCITY

10 pianos! Wow! I wonder why cool old places like this filled with great antiques aren't usually found in the US? The only things I see in the abandoned houses found in the US YouTuber videos are junky things from the 60's and 70's.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Good question. The only thing that comes to mind is the average U.S. citizen's over-valuation of the NEW! combined with rampant consumerism.

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  12. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I love these places, in Belgium there are a lot of these, not in NL, like the owners just got up and left, vanished. For some time I feared that my uncle's house would end up like that, inheritance laws involving two countries made for a lengthy and complicated affair, glad we got that settled after two years.
    it would be very tempting for me to take items from these places, especially if the place is falling apart, like in the last video. So it is good for the urbex people that I do not know where they are, I would definitely try to rescue stuff... ;)

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  13. SYNCHRONCITY

If there were no owners of the place and it was going to be demolished and all the stuff was going to be tossed into the garbage, I agree it would be very tempting too save that stuff ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted