ABCG? Cut crystal votive. ID help please!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by justjeff, Aug 8, 2018.

1. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

So I picked this up from a local thrift store. It's definitely good quality and appeared to have some age on it. It measure exactly 2 1/2" tall. Anyone with some expertise in that realm have an idea of what this is or where to begin looking? The previous owner was using it as a votive as there is still some candle wax in the bottom but it could have been something else entirely. Any help is appreciated! IMG_4273_rsz.jpg IMG_4274_rsz.jpg IMG_4278.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Imperlux?

justjeff likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Toothpick holder?

justjeff likes this.
  4. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

No luck on the Imperlux - toothpick holder combo nor did it match anything I saw being offered from Imperlux on Ebay. Of course that doesn't mean it's not.

I did run into a Mckee toothpick holder on Ebay that had the same type base.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Cut glass. So sweet.

Debora

justjeff likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Now Im wondering if its a match holder. Maybe those crosshatch marks are to strike a match on?

justjeff and dgbjwc like this.
  7. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

I'll explore that route. I thought I would have more time to flip through my Fostoria book at the DMV the other day but it went way faster than expected. If it's Heisey, McKee or any other manufacturer it's going to be blind luck to find the pattern based on my limited resources on older glass, which I think this is. I should be able to presume there are matching glasses, plates, bowls, etc to go with this?

8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

To me it looks like a larger piece that was damaged and professionally cut down to repurpose. Maybe a small cruet originally.

9. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

I also thought of match holder, though it seems a bit large; maybe a cigarette cup?

10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Its cut glass, it won't be in Fostoria, Heisey or McKee. The cutting they did was light, more engraving than Brilliant Cutting Although McKee did their Innovation, which appeared to be cut but really wasn't . Just as Imperial's "Nucut" was pressed, not cut at all.

justjeff and judy like this.
  11. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

There's an ACGA group on Facebook, and they're very good at IDs.

justjeff likes this.
  12. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

My first impression (for what it is worth!!!;)) is a toothpick holder. The cross hatch motif is on a lot of cut glass so does not necessarily imply match holder and since pattern and quality is nothing out of ordinary, doubt it was cut down and repurposed.

justjeff likes this.
  13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I don't know this, it's a possibility that the piece was offered for sale in one of those catalogs we get in the mail, three for $3.00 or some such in the last 40 years. If this is the case, it will never be identified.

14. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Thank you. I've only seen Fostoria's earliest work in a book and I assumed it was cut and not molded. Only a little more than a year into this and have a long way to go. Thanks for learning me ;)

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted