Featured Abraham Lincoln - Clement Vallandigham - 1865 Handbill

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by mforder, May 6, 2021.

1. mforder

mforder Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I have this handbill from 1865. It's a rally song sung by the 4th Ward Democratic Glee Club from Ohio. These folks were apart of the Northern states and were anti-anti-aboloisionist and against the Civil War and apparently did not like President Lincoln, they were referred to as the Copperheads.

What I can tell you is that this piece of paper was not found in the "Steele Box". It was in a very old bible that I once owned. I found it in it just before I gave the bible to a minister here in NJ. As you all most likely know the Civil War ended in the same year that this handbill was created which is also the same year that President Lincoln was assassinated, 1865.

I can tell you that it is very fragile, as you can see it is coming apart in the center and has foxing. What I do not know is if there are more examples of this same handbill out there. I'd also like to get an idea of what this may be worth but I am not sure if that is allowed here. It may not be. I would hate to break the rules of this forum, it has been very good to me thus far, good folks here to say the least.

If you have any comments or would like to share some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

---Mark Lincoln Vallandigham.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  2. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

How did you assign the date 1865? I think the reference to that in the text is a reference to some future event (probably the hoped swearing in of the Democratic presidential candidate in the 1864 election). Vallandigham was exiled from Ohio to the Confederacy in 1863. I would think this would be from the period just prior to that when he was agitating for Ohio to leave the Union.

The rally cry "Vallandigham and Freedom" was something used in 1863 during Vallandigham's run for governor of Ohio. I would think your item is from that year.

Joe2007, Bingamum, mforder and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Many new members ask about values, which is a tricky question, as there are usually so many variables involved! Ergo, most usually decline specifying, HOWEVER, we WILL try to point you in the right direction, and try to provide comps when possible to help you! Have you scrounged around the Library of Congress yet? They DO have MANY OLD documents to check out!!! But I personally did find it difficult to navigate.....but worth the challenge....at least to see if there are other copies of what you have!! Auction houses often are having more of these old types of documents now as well!! I personally find these fascinating, and wish you LUCK!!!:):):)

mforder, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  4. mforder

I did use the date mentioned, in the text. I have no doubt that you are right about 1865 being incorrect. Thank you!

5. mforder

Actually the LOC is a good idea, didn't look there but now I will, thanks for the suggestion. I did look there for the Charley Brewster Ross and I did get lucky. Maybe the same will happen here. This is another one of those things that I had stuffed in the "Steel Box and forgot I had. I have another items which is also coming up that was in the "Steele Box" and is interesting. I should be posting it soon.

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Kind of an interesting take on this song [sniped!]:

BattleCry.jpg

mforder and i need help like this.
  8. mforder

It's interesting how the Union version is different and was actually first it looks like it originated in Chicago. There is also a confederate version that has no reference to Vallandigham at all. Apparently this was a real moral booster for both side. On article says that it could be heard from Union encampment to Union encampment at night. I also see on you tube a few videos where is was sung and I recognize the Union version of song.

sabre123 likes this.
  9. mforder

Thank you nicely done and good find. I will read more about the glee club. It's pretty amazing how the music for this song can easily transfer from one side to another with just a few tweaks to the lyrics.

i need help likes this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Same like, "America (My Country, 'Tis of Thee)" and "God Save the King".

mforder likes this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Just went down a rabbit whole looking into who Vallandigham was. Apparently he lived and died not too far away from where I currently live. Interesting story.

12. mforder

Hi ya Joe, sorry to have done that to you. It's interesting how something so close could be there and not to know about it. Happens to me all of the time. Hence that's a daily occurrence like looking for the car keys of my glasses which are right on my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted