Abstract fish? silk Help ID

Discussion in 'Art' started by rink28, Jul 10, 2020.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hi, I acquired these two abstract fish which they appear to be maybe from my local thrift shop. I saw a sticker on the back that said Noonan Jovian galleries st Louis Missouri on the back. I googled the galleria and came across this linkwhen-the-art-world-came-to-st-louis-the-noonan-kocian-art-company-at-tenth-locust. As I read the article it stated about the Taos society of artists. when I googled Taos society of artists they were influenced by Mexican and Native American art so I'm wondering is the two silk abstract fish I have linked to them? Im not 100 percent sure this could be just by someone who did this in their free time and had it framed there but not really sure. It has nice colors to it though. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

fish1.jpg fish2.jpg fish3.jpg fidh4.jpg fish5.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a mola from Panama. Someone here is more knowledgable about them than I; sure they'll be along shortly. Until then... Doubtful they're made of silk; they're typically cotton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mola_(art_form)

Debora

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and rink28 like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks debora!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can see why they'd catch your eye. Very dramatic.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I love them too and have several in the house.They’re from the San Blas Islands and agree that they’re cotton.

Any Jewelry, rink28 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks reader they are up for sale now

reader likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, cotton molas, made by the Cuna (Guna, Kuna) indigenous people of the San Blas Islands, Panama.
    Originally molas are the front and back panels of a shirt. Now they often make them to sell to tourists.
    I have a complete shirt with two alphabet molas, which means they are appliqued with a few big letters which are used purely as decoration and given faces.:)

Cuna dress:

[​IMG]
    https://epicureandculture.com/san-blas-cultural-festival/

Draft saved Draft deleted