Abstract Painting - "Meditation"

Discussion in 'Art' started by Antiquefab, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Oil on canvas (1969) possibly British artist judging by canvas (Grange cotton canvas).Can anyone help with artist name. Size [ 1819cbf2-1232-4b54-8ba8-93b505603cd3.JPG 1768c282-b093-45c6-a0ec-141396766ff7.JPG acff4880-ca09-4550-9e2d-b7ad581fe661.JPG d93d61c8-ce18-4137-9261-ea20f6157a3a.JPG 8bd12abf-5406-4226-baeb-1c78f6909063.JPG b9e99965-c369-47e2-9ba4-fb57da644edb.JPG 30" x 24"]

charlie cheswick and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oooo I like this ! I see "Aut?uang "

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Ooooo i like this too

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

tried to get of some of that camera glare, its pretty darn interesting and cool

Aviary Photo_133191464997698182.jpg Aviary Photo_133191463318991645.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Antiquefab

Hi Johnny & Charlie.Thanks for looking at the painting.I have had it for over 2 years but did not get anywhere with the artist signature .Authuan was my best effort,which is a surname but could not link it to any artist. Abstract art would not be my forte but I really liked this painting ,and would love to know what the artist was actually portraying,and its significance.I hoped by putting it up on the forum that someone might recognise the artist.I only realised that it is a figure of a person in the bottom right of the painting,when Charlie took away some of the glare "thanks for that Charlie".My biggest problem is trying to source a frame of the period for it [30" x 20"] not really that popular but will have to renew my effort.Hope someone will be able to shed more light on it.Many thanks Fabian.

johnnycb09 and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

Your welcome Fabian

Hopefully

@Debora

Or

@verybrad

Could have a look for you

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Aul'Juan...? The end bits remind me of musical notes.

What does the stamp say ___de cotton canv(as)? Also, weird to apply a sticker over a title that says the same thing so I wonder if it's covering up "meditación" or anther spelling.

Your piece needs to be re-stretched. The bars created pressure damage on the front of it and it looks like it's sagging a bit. The "repairs" someone did to the back are not ideal because the tape is probably not acid free, and it can damage the piece over time. Take it to a frame shop and let them re-stretch it. Some won't touch "restoration" work but you could ask what acid free tapes they recommend. You can also take a look at their frames. 20x30 is something a frame was usually custom made for. They will surely have something contemporary-to-the-piece looking.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not abstract. Would probably call it Expressionist or Modernist. I see Aut Juan??? as the signature. Not sure what to make of the last bit. It does look a bit like musical notes. However, just underneath is the date, 69.

9. Antiquefab

Hi Mirana.Thank you for your post.The writing on the canvas is "Grange cotton canvas" which wad sold by Daler in the mid sixties,hence the 69 for 1969 would be right.As regards covering the title on the back,it was to repair a cut in the canvas,and I assume that the person doing the repair wrote what was originally on the canvas , on the repair they put over it.Your thoughts that it may be musical symbols at the end is very interesting ,maybe the artist had a connection to music in some way,another conundrum to add to the list.The mystery of the signature goes on.We live in hope that some one may yet solve it.Thanks once again .Fabian.

10. charlie cheswick

I read aul or aut Juan jig 69

I like the fact that you wanna keep it and frame it and not asking about it to sell it on or make a profit

I think I see a figure in the foreground too, bent over and rushing towards him

Signatures and artists aside, I'd be more than happy to hang and enjoy it, I think it's great

11. johnnycb09

Just for grins I decided to look for "Antjuan" and yes,that actually is a name .I couldnt find anything,still cant figure that last part out.

12. charlie cheswick

I thought, hmm thought it might be a bit art school, but decent art school

Can you make out the fore figure John, sort of rushing in ?

13. charlie cheswick

Arms bent and ducking

14. johnnycb09

I do,and I think they are black. I also think this *might* be a tiny bit sexual. I hesitated to say that lest i look like a perve !

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  15. charlie cheswick

Only as much as the rest of us Johnny boy ;):)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Given the title I assumed it was someone bowing before the person who's started to spiritually evolve?

17. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I concur, actually. ( sexual part)

18. Antiquefab

Hi All.I checked out Autjuan artist name and a Oden Antjuan came up but born 1971 so clearly not the artist.As regards the painting having a sexual nature,I'm not so sure,more inclined to think its more like what Mirana describes,maybe that's just my take on it .Very enlightening to hear how others perceive the art work and their valued opinions.As I said before most of the art I buy is not for resale,just to have and enjoy,but unfortunately wall space is diminishing rapidly.Thank you all for your imput.Fabian.

Draft saved Draft deleted