Acrylic Painting of Old Painting Madonna & Child Nursing Russian?

Discussion in 'Art' started by alynnfin, Jan 14, 2022.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I bought this about 2 years ago at a local thrift store. I am assuming it is acrylic, can't say for sure, of what I imagine is a copy of some famous painting on masonite?, some kind of fiber board. I can't remember what it is called when someone copies a famous painting. E0C5A18D_8E4A_4870_8605_4197393A5C58_1_201_a__1642173220_73603.jpg 7CE5455A_E3B3_4C39_9BBB_5F415E7CAD26_1_201_a__1642173517_56837.jpg C41C10E3_4622_4818_9D46_AB61B45502E2_1_201_a__1642173555_46900.jpg I can't read the writing and am thinking Russian but do not know. Not my cup of tea as the face of the child looks a little to old to me, but... Does anyone know the famous painting & do they know what it says or the language?

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours is a reproduction (the word I think you're searching for) of 'The Madonna Litta,' a painting attributed to Leonardo da Vinci. The original is in the Hermitage which is likely the Russian connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Litta

Debora

270px-Leonardo_da_Vinci_attributed_-_Madonna_Litta.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  3. alynnfin

Thank you, fast. Sorry about what I said de Vinci! I just remembered is calling something this this "after de Vinci" appropriate?

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. alynnfin

Or are you saying you do not think this is a "hand painted" reproduction but something other than hand painted?

ulilwitch likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be hand painted. Oil on masonite.

Debora

ulilwitch likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The writing on the tag is not Russian. I do not recognize it at all. :confused:

ulilwitch likes this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Armenian?

Ա Բ Գ Դ Ե Զ Է Ը Թ Ժ Ի Լ Խ Ծ Կ Հ Ձ Ղ Ճ Մ Յ Ն Շ Ո Չ Պ Ջ Ռ Ս Վ Տ Ր Ց Ւ Փ Ք ԵՎ(և) Օ Ֆ

8. Bronwen

I considered this & discarded it, but the more I compare, the more I think you're right.

ulilwitch and sabre123 like this.
  9. sabre123

If it is, the first line translates to:
    ARABELYAN R.

unless I hosed the letters in google translate

10. sabre123

Figtree3, komokwa, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I understood from the title that a child was nursing a Russian.:wacky:

12. Bronwen

:hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no no no no !!!!

sabre123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. alynnfin

Thank you. Now I am going to try to translate the rest! Whoop!

15. alynnfin

Thank you!

16. alynnfin

17. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

da Vinci, not de Vinci.

And yes you could refer to it as "after" (or d'apres,) as it is a copy of a work by another artist.

So in this case, you could refer to it as:

After "The Madonna Litta," a painting attributed to Leonardo da Vinci, by [whateverArtistNameHere]

... or, if you can't figure out who painted it, "by unknown artist" would be appropriate.

Figtree3 and CheersDears like this.
  18. alynnfin

Thank you! I really do not like it and it is going. I had sold one of my small Tarkay's which was in one of my rooms and came across it in the basement. I could not bear to put it on my wall. I was hoping I could find the name of the Armenian artist. I did try to translate into Armenian a number of Armenian artist's name to see if it matched the top line but that didn't work. I do think it says Apostle. From the cheap frame, I doubt it is someone of renown. Thank you thank you artist sleuths.

Draft saved Draft deleted