Featured Advice and Opinion on Delft Dish 1718 to 1744

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mario, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Plate measures 8" edge to edge, am going with that time frame as it is unmarked. Am I on the right track?

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What makes you think this is so old? I don't know otherwise, I'm just asking. I think that the pattern is a heraldic shield, decorated with a portcullis and topped by an ecclesiastical hat called a galero. The little dabs to either side will be the galero's tassels. These hats were worn by bishops and up.

lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I also wonder how did you come with that exact period?
    Are we sure this is Delf?

lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome, Mario. Sorry I agree with the above. I would have guessed Spanish or possibly Italian.
    Don

Figtree3, lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Mario, you have just heard from three of the most knowledgeable individuals in this pottery and glass forum. They are correct.
    The hat is known as a Galero. The color and number of tassels suggest it belonged to a high ranking official of the Papal Chamber (most likely a Chamberlain). See the link below for more information.
    Don is correct about the origin of the plate. It wasn't made in the Netherlands. It was produced in Italy. The clue here is the shape of the shield. It is shaped like a "Chamfron" which is part of medieval horse's armor that protects the heads. Doing an internet search will reveal many examples. This shape is used only in Italian heraldry and does not appear in English or other European armorial arts.

http://www.idtg.org/archive/939-roman-catholic-heraldry/

6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

So how old would it be? ballpark.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

8. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Okay, so how about this one? Delft?

Attached Files:

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It looks more aesthetic period to me than Delft. If I'm correct that would date it to late 1800's.
    Don

10. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Persian.

Draft saved Draft deleted