Featured Advice needed angelskin coral jewery + others pieces. Estate sale tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hoping some jewelry friend here can help me figure this out before tomorrow am (Wed). This looks like a nice angel skin coral necklace ....or? I just spent the last hour looking at angel skin coral and what sells on Ebay. Seems like carved pieces (the earrings maybe?) do well, but there was nothing quite like this necklace, which to my eye is the nicer piece. The angelskin coral jewelry sold on Ebay that sold highest all had 14 or 18K gold, and pretty sure neither of these are gold. Going to post two pics, not mine, and all I got. Just want to be ready with some kind of dollar amount in my head to avoid potentially overpaying. I'll probably figure that number out after I see comments here. What do you think? Angelskin coral? Is the necklace older? Looks it to me, but maybe the photo is misleading. Will of course be able to examine in person if it is still there when I get into the sale. Please see 2nd photo for additional question. Thanks.

acoral1.jpeg

Next photo shows a completely different piece, but I'm kind of wondering if the clasp shown is the end of the necklace above. If yes, what era are we looking at?

acoral2.jpeg

KSW, Any Jewelry, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Not to confuse things further, they just posted some additional photos of other jewelry items. Let me copy a few more pictures. Some of this is pretty incredible. I don't expect prices to be low, but if something really stands out I want to be ready. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    kyratango likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

aaa2.jpeg

@Bronwen

aaa3.jpeg

this next one followed by loose stones, not sure if they are part of the piece
    aaa4.jpeg aaa5.jpeg

more coral?

aaa6.jpeg

KSW, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 9 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

There are even a few more things I didn't copy and post in the jewelry section. Some NA sterling, I'm not even going to try for that. Too many experts in that field where I live. It won't be inexpensive.

For the rest I'll have my wallet ready. This a professional company running the sale, but I've done okay with them at times in the past. Anything really stand out here? Would be mostly buying for resale so need to shop wisely. General comments are mostly what I am looking for. Thanks.

pearlsnblume, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very pretty, Lucille! I’ll be following to learn what the jewelry folks say. :)

KSW, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Realized there were a few more pics. Again, just looking for general comments.

I think one is made from hair.... some damage though. Just did a search on hair jewelry, didn't see anything quite like this, but I'm a bit calibrated now.

I do know a fair amount about costume jewelry, so not going in blind, but some of this seems a bit finer than what I usually get. No pressure, everything might turn out to be massively overpriced, just want to be ready. If something stands out to you as being especially nice, please speak up. Or even toss out some specialized keywords, I can then do the research.

aaaa1.jpeg aaaa2.jpeg aaaa3.jpeg aaaa4.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, some neat pieces Luciille. I love the mourning/hair pieces, I've always done well with those if you can get them for a decent price:)
    Is it just jewelry or is there other stuff for sale?

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You should have warned me to get a drool rag out. I'm not sure if the first necklace would be considered angel skin; it has more pink than the usual. I'd call it circa 1915, best guess. I'd jump all over it and put it straight into my hoard...collection. Nah, hoard. The second broken necklace is definitely angel skin coral. The spare stones don't belong on the pink and green choker - looks like rose quartz from here, but it might be glass. Either way, snag it. The carnelian round drop bead necklace looks to be early 1920s - grab and run. The carved beads look a lot newer, but at a decent price I'd make off with those too.

The hair jewelry I don't know enough about to guess at prices these days. The blue stone bracelet and stick pins...sodalite?

KSW, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Should have warned about the drool worthiness. Sorry!

The jewelry is just a small part of the sale. Lots of sterling (gonna pass cause it won't be cheap) plus antique furniture, books, looks like a large sale.

I think I'm going to make a beeline for the jewelry. There are some garnet pieces I didn't show, others too. I could see things being $80, $120... that kind of thing. But maybe will be less. I'm going to try to find the sleeper pieces. Again mostly for resale, but maybe a hoard item or two.

KSW, pearlsnblume, judy and 5 others like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

good luck, I hope you score several sleepers:)

KSW, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You have to love a sleeper! One dealer locally often overprices the jewelry and silver, but once in a while...eep. Don't forget to check the dollar bin too, if they have one. I've found the darndest things that way.

KSW, Msalicia, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

'Angel skin' is a color, not a type of coral. I would call this extremely pretty swag necklace angel skin coral, but where you draw the line is subjective. The coral rose cluster earrings I would not call angel skin. The necklace is a sure fire seller, IMO. Question will be whether it can be snagged for an acceptable price. Screw back earrings are a hard sell, unless they are readily convertible, which these would be if willing to lose the lone rose at the top.

It's the right type of belcher chain to be the same piece, although I think it would not have been the original clasp. That one looks more like the sort of clip one sees on watch chains, etc. The necklace almost has a Georgian look to it, but probably not quite so old. Victorian in age, not just appearance, to my eye; we'll see what others say.

Don't bother with the cameo stick pin unless it's very cheap & you want it for yourself.

The cameo of Hebe & the Eagle looks really promising. Wish I had a better photo to evaluate it from + a pic of the back. Could be any of several materials, ranging from Celluloid to ivory, with conch shell a possibility in the middle. Hopefully you'll have a better idea when you're there.

Probably is. Pale enough that I would call it white coral, despite the blushing cheek here & there.

Hair jewellery is not my thing. However, this set has potential, first of all because it is a set. The earrings look particularly tasty & have less damage. There definitely are collectors.

KSW, Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Excellent everyone, thanks.

Thanks Bronwen for the clarification on angel skin.

I also find the swag necklace to be especially nice. We'll see what they are asking. As I don't think it is gold, a probably not marked, maybe it will be somewhat affordable. Will go for it!

I am making a short list for my own use. Even jotting some (get it if less than...) prices down.

The first few minutes promise to be mayhem, I'm pretty good at focusing in such situations. Actually I live for them, lol! Pretty sure my pupils will be enlarged, etc.

Will check this thread again before I head out tomorrow. :)

KSW, Figtree3, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing anything newer.
    I would grab anything that was in my price range.

The first necklace is mid to late 1800s. Angel skin coral.
    The broken whitish beads might also be coral.

1920s - Possibly Czech - Might be bakelite or glass
    upload_2019-1-15_22-39-14.png

I can't see the blue bracelet very well, it might be Czech also.
    If cheap grab the carved carnelian beads. Not newer. Notice they are knotted in between the spacer beads.

I'm not a fan of hair jewelry, particularly the damaged pieces. Those I would personally pass on. Although they do sell.

KSW, Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That necklace that cluttered singled out? I've one with the same fitments, but lovely green Bohemian glass. 1930s and I suspect that one is glass as well.

Agree on the first one being late 19th. This was a young girl or unmarried woman's necklace.

17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Pretty sure it is unmarked gold... Really fine chains, tiny half seed pearls accents...
    I'd grab all you showed ;):woot:

18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

In your pic#5, the Chinese bracelet seems to be pink tourmaline and jadeite:)

KSW, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Beautiful pieces! I love the first necklace but be prepared, you may find the coral is glass if it is not as old as it looks. Either way I would grab that.

Hair jewelry works for me but not if it is damaged in any way, sadly I would pass on the hair pieces.

If you can get the broken coral necklace at a good price, grab that. I just had similar graduated AS coral beads restrung, knotted between each bead, for about $60. Check the clasp for gold.

Good luck and make sure to post photos of what you get, I love to drool :)

20. Lucille.b

Just have time to quickly review the latest comments. Thanks to everyone for taking a look! :) Will definitely report back. Hopefully I'll get something. Planning to stand out in line for an hour for this one, but we'll see how close to the front of the line that brings me. It's a professionally run sale as I stated, so things won't be dirt cheap but would be nice if there were a few things left to ponder at least. Will try to shop wisely.

I've never done this much mental preparation before (ah, the age of photos on the online advertisement).

I'm going to make a list of my target things with general price points in my head, so I can be ready. If memory serves, how this company works, they have someone at a jewelry case and anything you want they bag up with your name on it and hold at the front.

The minute that is done, I'm off to race through the rest of the house.

Wish me luck.

KSW, komokwa, Figtree3 and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted