Featured Advice on my Tiffany pen?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Oct 11, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

So I bought this pen awhile ago and it was beautiful! Well, at the time it was dirty and I thought to myself why not have Tiffany clean it for free? Well I was wrong. I brought it to them weeks ago and it came out lovely but just recently when I started using it again I noticed the enamel was chipped up. It was definitely not like this before because I would have noticed it. What are my options here? I doubt Tiffany would do anything for me as they would claim they didn't do it. Any advice? I am not sure what Tiffany's cleaning method is in their backroom.
    20191010_224646_resized.jpg 20191010_224713_resized.jpg 20191010_224728_resized.jpg

lloyd249, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Why not try to take it back and ask them if they can help? They can only say no, right?

KikoBlueEyes, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. spartcom5

I am planning on it! I hope they are nice about it but as I understand enamel work is hard... I'm thinking they may offer to remove it all together, much like many others on ebay.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Maybe it isn't actual enamel, just tinted lacquer?
    Although it does look quite thick in your photo so maybe it is enamel ..kind of wierd it would chip off though unless it was banged about a lot, it isn't just chipped in one spot either ..quality ain't what it used to be, is it?

5. spartcom5

I just wonder if tiffany uses like an ultrasonic machine with harsh jewelry cleanser? Cause that would do it I assume?

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes! those vibrations could do that for sure! If so, they should give you a new pen!

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, spart.
    You don't know if they would claim that. I would take it back, as blooey said. Just talk to them and see what they say. Surely a place like Tiffany knows that a damaged piece could damage their reputation?

Just wondering, do you have any photos from before it was cleaned? Seller's pics maybe?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  8. spartcom5

Unfortunately no photos from before and I bought it in person so no seller photos. I am at a disadvantage because of this but I will go there later today and see what they might be able to do... will report back hopefully with good news, this was my favorite pen!

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate. In the following example from a sold eBay listing, the pen body is pretty scratched up, but that ring is mechanically precise and looks flawless. I don't know if you could touch that up without seeing the ragged edge or brush marks. Good luck.

[​IMG]

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That thing is a mess! But without "before" pictures...

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  11. spartcom5

They tried to find a brand new one for me but to no avail. So they are sending it out to see if they can rebuild the enamel.... if that doesn't work well then idk. Fingers crossed they can fix it nicely

12. Any Jewelry

Wonderful news, spart. I hope it works. You will keep us posted, won't you.

judy and Sandra like this.
  13. spartcom5

Well they couldn't fix it. So they dug around and idk where they got it from but they gave me a brand new pen! The same one just brand new. Which to me is crazy because this pen is older and has been sold out for quite some time. Very pleased with their customer service, no charge.

14. Any Jewelry

Congratulations, spart! A very elegant solution.

Draft saved Draft deleted