Advice, Please, On How To Sell This Bottle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kentworld, Oct 24, 2014.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

We were gifted this bottle of Remy Martin Cognac by my brother. He and his first wife bought this back in '88. It is in a Baccarat (I think) crystal bottle. Has the fancy box and signed certificate.

Can it be sold internationally? Specialty auction? Ideas, please! (Part proceeds to DH's Rolex fund. ;) )

upload_2014-10-24_15-59-44.jpeg

upload_2014-10-24_15-58-4.jpeg

upload_2014-10-24_15-59-1.jpeg

upload_2014-10-24_15-59-18.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

You know, Wendy, this would go well with some good books this winter.
    Just sayin' . . . ;)

kentworld likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    To advoid all kinds of rules and regs, contact a high end liquor store near you.
    Just remembered kinda, are you in Canada? If so the rules there might be different.
    greg

4. kentworld

Yeah, I figured there'd be lots of rules, but I know that vintage wines are auctioned and/or sold internationally. Just wondering if anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing. Does cognac get better with time??

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Nothing is helped by age in a bottle

6. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

I would sell it .... empty. Down to the last drop, empty.

Bakersgma and Messilane like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Can you sell it locally,like on Craigslist ? Im firmly in the sipping on it while the snow falls camp .:happy:

8. kentworld

LOL, Johnny! DH posted it on Craigslist unbeknownst to me! I'm a tad sceptical. I'm afraid the contents of the bottle would be lost on me and I'm pretty sure it's worth more with the contents than without. ;) However, I hope it sells because I get 50%!

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

kentworld likes this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I told Wendy to contact a liquor store. We had several old bottles of booze and sold it to them instead of dealing with the regulations. It was funny since two of the bottles I found were at the bottom of my Gram's clothes hamper. She had put the bottles there and covered it with a thin wood panel and had the clothes on top.
    greg

11. kentworld

Thanks, Greg. If it doesn't sell on Craigslist, then maybe we'll see if there's interest from the private liquor stores (we have govt. liquor stores here as well).

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yup, and booze doesn't age anymore after it's put in a bottle.
    The only problem is the bottle itself. It's been known that old lead glass bottles would leach lead into the alcohol .

Draft saved Draft deleted