African Art on Brown Paper ?? Help Please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Peggymorn, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

Found this at an auction and picked it up because it looks unique. It looks like it is some type of art or drawing that was transferred onto brown paper. The brown paper is joined and reminds me of how "in the old days" we would use old paper grocery bags by pulling them apart at the seam and flattening. From the backing it appears to be very old. Any ideas? Thanks a lot for anything at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@daveydempsey ......i guess either gut this or move it....???

Peggy....this is the wrong Forum...

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I find this intriguing and think it's a wonderful photograph.

I'm wondering if it was printed using a solar method? I don't know how that's done, though.

If the paper is very acidic, it could have darkened with age. But if it's as dark as it looks in the images, I'd be surprised if it was white or even off-white to begin with.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe you can post a clear photo of the blue label?

5. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

To me it looks dark originally, never white. I've never heard of the solar method. Maybe someone else will add to your thoughts. Thank you

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

IMG_20181113_194647.jpg IMG_20181113_194647.jpg IMG_20181113_194647.jpg
    Here I hope is a clearer image of the blue label. It is stamped onto whatever was cut out and used for the backing. I have tried googling RIP Tailor Clothing with no luck.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

Just want to thank everyone for looking at and giving your thoughts on this.

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, I can see why you bought it.
    It looks like a photograph to me as well. Something has been done to make it more 'artsy'.
    @Jivvy do you have any idea what this could be?

i need help, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

I have no idea
    I don't think its irrelevant at all! At least it dates the backing if I understand what I saw when I googled what you gave here and where it led. I would now guess the backing is from somewhere in the late '30's to late 50's --- right?

i need help likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Figtree3, kyratango and i need help like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I tagged Jivvy, another member, maybe she has an idea of the technique involved.

i need help likes this.
  13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

From the pictures posted so far, I don't have a clue. It does look like someone put a coat of varnish (?) over it?

I would try getting some pictures outside (taken in light shade, no flash). And if you could do a closeup or two at high resolution so we can maybe get a better idea of the process.

If it were mine, I'd take it out of the frame to get a better look. But only if you're comfortable doing that.

14. Jivvy

I think it's later than the hey day of solar enlargements... what size is it?

i need help likes this.
  15. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

i need help likes this.
  16. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

All of you are so resourceful. My continued thanks. It is about 15" X 15" in frame. I am not at all comfortable taking it out of the frame, I have ruined so many nice pieces doing that. I will try to take outdoor pics but doubt if it will be today because we are in the middle of a black ice freeze.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

If it were a bit smaller, I would question if it could be a magazine cover -- maybe a poster?

i need help likes this.
  18. Jivvy

I totally get not wanting to take it out of the frame.

Sorry about the "outdoor" photo advice -- I live in Florida. :hilarious:

Maybe take photos somewhere inside near a window.

Natural light is usually easier to get good photos -- but it's not required. It's just the print process is impossible to determine without more info.

19. Peggymorn

Peggymorn New Member

IMG_20181115_122741.jpg I would welcome Florida weather today. But here are more pics in front of my picture window (on an overcast day). Please notice the last pic which shows a lead pencil next to some lines. Thanks again

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm getting the feeling that this was removed from a magazine - with the straight vertical line between the woman on the right and the one holding the child being (perhaps) evidence of the fold between pages? Nice to see that the background around the women isn't the same brown as their robes.

Draft saved Draft deleted