African (assuming) carved wood couple odd and erotic and puzzling

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Kevolee, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, this piece really has me stumped. I'm sure it is wood, especially looking at the small missing section on the base, but the patina has something of a bronzed look and also looks a bit like it could be painted ceramic. The figures are puzzling too. The pictures illustrate the pose better than I care to, but what I figure to be the female is much larger than the other. I cannot find anything similar and the design on the base is throwing me off too as most African carvings do not have anything like that. It is about 8.75" tall. If anyone can give me any help or ideas it will be much appreciated.

IMG_0422.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0429.JPG

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like wood
    looks like mother and child
    looks like older tourist artwork.........

Van_Poperin and Bronwen like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It could be referred to as a "maternity figure". I suspect it is from the Congo region - the architectural hairstyle/headdress, and the design on the base are reminiscent of Kuba style, but they are not known for maternity figures.

Van_Poperin and Bronwen like this.
  4. Kevolee

Thank you, I do believe it is wood and the mother and child makes sense.

5. Kevolee

Thank you, I looked at that style and the Congo and I do see similarities. Especially in pieces with a "bronzed" look to them.

6. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

I'm not a expert....but that looks like mother and child pose....and not sexual between man and woman

Draft saved Draft deleted