African Basket - Zambia Makenge Root?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by LoveTheHunt!, Aug 30, 2018.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

This looks much like others I have seen as described above, but I just wanted confirmation from someone who actually KNOWS such things.
    Basket is about 3" high, 20-1/2 to 21" in diameter.
    Pictured are: 1) Top, 2) Top/center discount, 3) Side, 4) Bottom
    THANX!
    Basket-African-Zambia-Wedding_Bowl-Makenge_Root-top.jpg Basket-African-Zambia-Wedding_Bowl-Makenge_Root-top-det.jpg Basket-African-Zambia-Wedding_Bowl-Makenge_Root-s.jpg Basket-African-Zambia-Wedding_Bowl-Makenge_Root-btm.jpg

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a makenge root basket from Zambia. They were, for years, a traditional wedding gift, and were commonly handed down through generations. Many of the older ones had obvious repairs, where the coils had broken over the years.

When makenge root baskets started appearing on the decorator market, they looked much like this one, but lately have taken on the look of the repaired baskets. So there are now two "styles" of the baskets. Whether the "repaired" ones are actually old, or not, I don't know. Maybe some are, but the ones you see on decorator web sites, probably not. However, the distinctive raised stitches used to create the design pattern on the surface of the basket, has remained the main identifying feature over the years.

judy, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted