Featured African (?) Bead and Bone Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Sep 29, 2019.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

One of today's finds...this looks African in origin to me. I am hoping to narrow down to a region or country? The piece at the bottom does not open.

IMG_4982-2.jpg IMG_4983-2.jpg IMG_4984-2.jpg IMG_4985-2.jpg

...aiaiaiaiaai (or however you spell it)...just went to measure it...here is what it looks like now! Approx 24" in length (before breakage). Hope I have found all the pieces! IMG_4992-2.jpg

ACP, judy, antidiem and 6 others like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I know!!!!! Thank you for your commiseration!

judy, Xristina, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Nice!

judy, wenna and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

On the positive side at least it broke somewhere where you can hopefully find all the bits rather than outside.

judy, wenna and kyratango like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ouch. It looks like the sort of thing I take apart and remake or at least restring. Those cotton cords ... well, those cotton cords is all I can say about them.

reader, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Nice beads. Definitely African and the bottom piece is an Ethiopian telsum.

ACP, Any Jewelry, wenna and 3 others like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Actually think all the metal beads are Ethiopian.

Any Jewelry, wenna and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, Ethiopian telsum pendant and metal beads. The glass beads are trade beads from different countries. The bone beads could be locally made or trade.

Kathy Anderson, wenna and ACP like this.
  10. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Agreed; telsum, Ethiopian, possibly coin silver with rectangular tubes, black glass (actually the deepest purple), with eyes; most likely Venetian, but could be Bohemian, African assembled.

wenna likes this.
  11. Kathy Anderson

It's a VERY special necklace. The rectangular tube beads
    A very special necklace, actually; the rectangular tube beads are, am 99% certain, Venetian, c. 1900 or earlier and the center glass bead from which the Telsum hangs, is a fancy Venetian flower bead (c. 1880) that some collectors would die to have because the flower is stemmed....some say it's a "ghost bead." Poppycock; the beadmakers of then were highly skilled and detailed. If they'd want to have made a ghost, it would have clearly a ghost! LOL

The telsum are quite collectible, especially if this one has a high silver content. They can go for $45 for a 16 inch strand of low quality to $35US per pair for .925 silver. Here's one site's take: https://www.thebeadchest.com/collections/ethiopian-telsum-beads#readmore

Other research I've done over the years indicate one of these was given by older relatives to a youngster for each year upon his/her birthday. Some were thought to have contained little prayers. Each was always handmade. Realize, however, there are copies.

A pretty sweet piece! Congrats.

wenna likes this.
  12. Kathy Anderson

PS: That single flower bead is worth at least $25US.

wenna likes this.
  13. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

@Kathy Anderson Thanks for this additional info! I did notice that center bead was different. I really didn't think the beads were glass but it seems they are after a closer look I was able to get since the darn thing fell apart! Thanks again!

Kathy Anderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted