African Carved Wooden Figurine

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Kelly McEvoy, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Kelly McEvoy

Kelly McEvoy Member

IMG_6608.JPG IMG_6612.JPG IMG_6611.JPG Hi,

I had assumed that this was a modern souvenir...so many of them around... but it did come from my late aunt, who was an auctioneer so I'm wondering why she had it since it's not exactly her style.

The wood is very dark and pretty soft. It almost feels like charcoal. I'm assuming coil around the neck is copper. She's holding some kind of bottle.

Anyway, just double checking. Thanks in advance for any insights you can share.

Bronwen and ulilwitch like this.
  2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It's really nice. I thought she was holding a child at first. I don't know much about African carvings though.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your figure is a style meant to represent an Ndebele woman of South Africa, wearing the neck rings that signify a married woman. These are popular with tourists, and so are made by a variety of artisans in Africa. If the wood is soft, it has probably been stained (sometimes with shoe polish) to appear more like east African carvings made with African blackwood/ebony, which is a very hard wood. Perhaps it was also smoked over a fire to give it the appearance of age, which may have made it more friable. (Speculating here on this last point.) I am sorry to say it is not a particularly well carved example - your aunt may just have liked it.

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It may have been in a fire and the wood became charred.

She may be holding an offering.

James.

2manybooks likes this.
  5. Kelly McEvoy

Kelly McEvoy Member

Thank you! The wood is definitely soft, almost like charcoal, like I said. Really interesting about the possibility of it being 'smoked'. Might explain the fact that I can literally draw pictures with it!

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted