Featured African Glass Beads....& some metal....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by komokwa, Dec 6, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I bought these cuz I liked them...& at a time was collecting beads......
    They came to me as Rare Old Blue African Dogon beads......& the metal seemed to point in that direction.......but they're strung on shoelace type on material....which seemed odd from the outset.

Any opinions are welcomed.....origin , age, whatever ya got will be welcomed news...!! IMG_5099.JPG IMG_5100.JPG IMG_5103.JPG IMG_5101.JPG IMG_5102.JPG

Zinnie, mmarco102, dgbjwc and 11 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, komo.
    Both are made with Dutch blue trade beads. If I remember correctly, Dutch blue trade beads were made in Amsterdam.

The top necklace are 'Dutch donuts', my absolute favourites when it comes to trade beads. They were made from the 17th-19th centuries.

The bottom necklace are called Dogon beads, as you said, but are also Dutch made. Most Dogon beads date from the 18th-19th century.

The decorated brass bead is probably Akan (Ashanti, etc). It looks antique.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Zinnie, Kimbert, cxgirl and 8 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

With AJ's imprimatur on the beads, don't think you need to worry too much about the 'shoelaces'. From here they look like they could be leather? Whatever the material used to string them, think the beads have been in the hands of a collector, who has kept sets of bead together in this very secure, but reversible, way. Doubt they were ever around an African neck just as they are now.

komokwa, 2manybooks, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

those are lovely komokwa:)

dgbjwc, komokwa and i need help like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Even if they have been looking for love in all the wrong places - in a drawer, for pity's sake.

7. komokwa

huh...I don't keep these in a drawer...:stop:

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

OK, in a box then. :p

9. komokwa

not even.....they're out where I can get em....

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted