Featured African Necklace or Machine Age Piece? (Jakob Bengel?)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I purchased this a while back for a couple euros, assuming for some reason that it was an African piece and hoping that the large bead in the center might be faturan (heh, yeah, I'm still obsessed with finding the stuff). Now, after spending the last few hours researching Jakob Bengel jewelry, I began to wonder if it might in fact be a German machine age piece.... I found this Bengel necklace with a similar chain clasp:

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/nec...ob-bengel-idar-oberstein-c-1930/id-v_6256931/

What are your thoughts on this?
    20190619_234549.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Definitely not African or Faturan, and it has a Jakob Bengel look. I don't know if it is actual Jakob Bengel or inspired.
    Jakob Bengel jewellery is now being manufactured again, maybe you can contact them to see if yours is an original:
    http://www.jakob-bengel.de/produkte/halsschmuck/

3. Barn Owl

Thank you! :) I'll do that. I don't know why I thought it was African... Usually I don't have time to think over my buys, so I have to make quick analyses...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. Barn Owl

I keep trying to figure out if Galalith has seams. Sometimes I find art deco style jewelry, but it has seams, so I don't buy it...

6. Barn Owl

I emailed them, so I'll let you know if they respond and what they might say...

Draft saved Draft deleted