after lawrence, red and blue boy oils

Discussion in 'Art' started by charlie cheswick, Nov 15, 2019.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi folks

found these two oils yesterday, they were filthy, but a slice or two of bread has cleaned them up much better

they were sold as prints, £5 for the pair, but they are definitely oils

1 on board the other on canvas

both about 13" by 16

was wondering your thoughts, and maybe what kind of age they are

not brilliant, ropey condition but gotta be worth £2.50 each

any thought appreciated

Aviary Photo_132183008115909913.jpg Aviary Photo_132183011431360380.jpg Aviary Photo_132183009475125028.jpg Aviary Photo_132183012813954652.jpg Aviary Photo_132183031984318636.jpg Aviary Photo_132183033951504892.jpg

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!!! I LOVE them BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you find a signature anywhere????

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They do seem to be from the same hand, but to me they seem rather harsh... hard and edgy in a way the originals are not.

Lawrence did paint Red Boy. He also painted Pinkie... the girl frequently paired with Blue boy... but Blue boy was painted 20 years earlier by Gainsborough.

Blue Boy and Pinkie are both in the Huntington Library collection. I'm not sure where Red Boy is.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@charlie cheswick, first, looks like MOS has the scoop on them, so my input probably not needed.....I was going to say, as long as you were SURE they were oils, try some spit on the lower right corner of Red Boy.....in lightening it, it looks like there might be a small signature there.....But sounds like MOS is right on top of it all!!!! :):):):):)

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Both are so widely reproduced in the 20th century; could be by anyone. Frames look kinda 30s-40s-ish but someone else may disagree.

Debora

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

thanks Aquitaine

your comments are always just as much appreciated for their loveliness

defo oils, and will have a good look for a sig

Charlie

Draft saved Draft deleted