Featured Again jewelry. What kind of stones? Made in Italy?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Nov 2, 2018.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Another mystery! I think it is marked Italy. What is this type of chain called? The tiny drop is amethyst with similar enameling. What is the big green stone on the pendant and earrings. I think it is gold but can't find any quality marks.
    Thanks for your help. Patd
    Both 1.jpg Both 1.jpg Close 2.jpg Close 1.jpg ER 1.jpg Mark 1.jpg Mark 2.jpg

cxgirl, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, pat. My kind of bling.
    The green is malachite, the other could be fluorite or amethyst quartz.
    The chain is called a Figaro chain.

cxgirl, judy, sabre123 and 4 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

What does the small mark on the earring in the last picture say?
    There is also a mark in an oval on the chain, the side the clasp hooks into. There could be a similar mark on the other side of the 'Italy' marked bit.

cxgirl, judy and i need help like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The purple drop appears to have bubbles,or maybe it's the background. The large green stone is out of focus and poorly lite to say exactly what type of stone.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say carved malachite. The chain is Italian; the rest looks Chinese. I'd check it for gold content, since the Chinese have been known to do screwy things. The earrings appear to be marked, so it may flat out tell you what's going on.

cxgirl likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think the chain relates to the pendant. Pendant looks to be nice Chinese vermeil or even gold filigree with, as others have said, carved malachite.

cxgirl likes this.
  7. patd8643

The chain and pendant may not have started life together. They were bought about 30 years ago. I don't know how much China was into jewelry then.
    I have desperately tried to read the other marks but my 30+ loop isn't strong enough and the marks are a little 'smeared'.
    Thank you for all your help.
    Patd

judy and cxgirl like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

High quality filigree work has been exported from China for centuries. Tha earring backs, especially, are pretty typical.

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I agree, those wire mesh backs on the earrings are typically Chinese, as is the enamel with colour shading.
    I wonder if it says 925 on the earrings?

i need help likes this.
  10. caroln

caroln Active Member

Really?? Clear as a bell on my monitor. A lot better than some of the pics I've taken! ;)

cxgirl likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Clear on mine, too.

12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Usually malachite has distinct color lines which I don't see in the photos,maybe it looks different in person.

13. Any Jewelry

They are there. Maybe this helps, a little lighter:
    upload_2018-11-3_18-41-37.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  14. patd8643

After doing some looking, I think you all are right. The necklace is Italian. The other pieces are export type china made. Found some with very similar filigree and enamel work. Went to 60x magnification on the marks today. They are still too 'smudged' to see.
    Thanks for everyone's help. Patd

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  15. evelyb30

Odds are good they marked the piece and then plated over the mark. That'll do it every time.

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  16. patd8643

Well, surprise! I was looking for a small box today, found one and was about to throw out the little piece of paper in it but decided to read it. Here is what it said.

This pendant and earrings are sterling silver filigree work with hand carved Malachite stones that are reproductions of buttons used during the Qing Dynasty. The silver wires are hand fashioned with tweezers, then filled with enamel colors and fired in a kiln to become glass, then 24kt gold plated.

Guess it pays not tp throw things away!
    Patd

17. evelyb30

God bless packrattery!

SBSVC likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

now put the jewelry back in the box !! ;);)

Draft saved Draft deleted