Featured Agate cameos?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I would like to ask your opinion on the below cameos, I would like to purchase them. The seller suggested that they are agate, they are black, but when they are held against light they turn orange.
    I have not seen them, I think the pendants are intaglio cameos or something along these lines and they are set in gold.
    I would appreciate any links or comments on the pendants, material and perhaps age.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Bronwen
    @PepperAnna
    @KSW
    @Fid

FEA567E6-3EB0-4C7C-8B87-DE5EE919244D.jpeg 83CB81AA-E8CC-47D0-BB5C-BA129D6AE637.jpeg B835D44C-206D-48E1-9DC1-9B06067895CE.jpeg 75A34CE7-EECE-45EF-BB74-85429703DBD3.jpeg CC6271FF-14BB-4F6C-8ABF-BEEFDFD3156B.jpeg

Boland, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lovely!

Bronwen likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen black glass pieces turn purple (aka black amethyst glass) when I did that, but not orange. That last one is a watch fob, and those were often carnelian or glass made to look like it.

Figtree3, judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

All look like glass to me, I'm afraid. These little fobs often are when they are not meant for engraving. Kind of a cool looking Athena nonetheless. They are a good match for the color of carnelian/cornelian when lit from behind & like sard when not.

5. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much for all the shared knowledge, I have asked him to keep the Athena for me. He asked me a question question, I wonder what is your take on it.
    He asked how do we know is glass and not carnelian, why should it be set in gold if glass?
    My answer was that carnelian has different shades and sort of banding, striations probably is the best word, whereas his pictures were clear like glass. What are your thoughts, wanted to double check, so I did not give him the wrong answer.
    It’s funny because he is the seller, and I am trying to explain what he sells :)
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Carnelian is a stone that is not translucent or transparent. Light would not shine through it in that way.

Pat Dennis and Simona Buhus like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's not correct. Carnelian is the red/orange form of chalcedony and it specifically is translucent, when it goes opaque it gets called Jasper.

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The only way to be sure is to have them tested :)

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Okay, thank you. I like learning here.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Any old cheap diamond tester will tell you if they're glass. On mine, one bar or no bars is glass. A ZING to the top is a diamond. Anything else is ...anything else. I have a bad feeling all of the above would come back as no bar/one bar.

Simona Buhus and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Simona Buhus

Perfect, I know he has a diamond tester, will suggest to test them.
    I also think they are glass, as they are Cristal clear in the photos.
    Just looked as some carnelian I have at home, looks different.
    Thank you all
    @Ce BCA Thank you for sharing the information about Jasper.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I am doubtful that they are set in solid gold. Most of these watch chain fobs were gold filled or a wash. Rarely were they gold. He might want to check the wear points.

Simona Buhus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted