Featured Agate or Hakik Value

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Zeeshan Suchwani, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Hi All,

I need a expert advice,to identify these agate or hakik and give a estimated values.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

KSW, reader, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Zeeshan.
    Those are all beautiful, and yes, they have value. The glass ones are stunning. The lovely carnelian ones are etched, a technique that goes back thousands of years. I think they are from Western Asia, although some Burmese Pumtek beads can look similar. The last ones are natural banded agate Dzi beads from Tibet or China.
    The carnelian and agate beads would certainly have had a similar special importance to the akiks we know now, maybe even more so.

I know it is difficult to verify the age, since there are many good repros, especially of the glass ones and the highly popular Dzi beads.
    I have a feeling these are the real deal, especially the glass beads and the etched carnelians. I must say repros of these two types also have value, but not as much as the antique ones of course.

As far as I know we don't have anyone on the forum who specializes in these specific types of historic beads, but maybe @2manybooks knows of someone who can help you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    i need help and judy like this.
  4. @Anyjewelry Thank you so much for helpful answer.

Yes, you are right, the beads are thousands of years old and it recovered underground.

Well, sure, I should also can wait for @manybooks reply, hope I will find what I am looking for.

Thanks

KSW, reader, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Good luck, Zeeshan. These beads deserve special attention and an expert set of eyes.

KSW, reader, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Zeeshan. Thanks for sharing your beautiful beads with us. It is a joy to see them.

KSW, Zeeshan Suchwani, reader and 3 others like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Hello Zeeshan,

With regard to the glass millefiori beads - the condition of the glass surfaces suggest they are older than the widely distributed Venetian millefiori beads of the 19th century. You say they are thousands of years old, and recovered from underground. It would be very important to document the context in which the beads were found - that would be some of the best evidence in determining their date and origin.

That said, the millefiori techniques were used by the ancient Romans, and later revived by the Venetians in the Middle Ages, becoming widespread during the 18th and 19th centuries. So there is a chance they may date from the Roman period.

The style of the blue eye bead in the center has a particularly long history. Similar beads were made in the ancient Middle East, and later in Islamic cultures, as well as in Asia.

You might try contacting the Corning Museum of Glass (cmog.org)

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes, KSW and 5 others like this.
  8. Thanks You @KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes and KSW like this.
  9. Thank you so much to giving a helpful answer. Surely I will contact to corning museum to get to know more :)

KikoBlueEyes, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Zeeshan, will you let us know what they say? We always love to learn more.
    I used to have a very good site on the identification of Dzi beads bookmarked, but I lost it in a computer crash. I tried to find it again, but no luck so far. If I find it, I will post it here.

11. @Any Jewelry, Thank you once again for appreciating words, its very helpful to me :)

Yes, surely I will get back to forum with reply of them..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Zeeshan Suchwani and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Zeeshan Suchwani likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

This one?
    https://jkwon0404.wordpress.com/2013/07/07/explains-the-characteristics-of-authentic-dzi/
    or this?
    http://www.meiyatravel.com/Guide/12191.aspx
    Warm?
    https://ancientdzibeads.wordpress.com/

http://www.dzi-meteorite.com/art/ar...-of-dzi-bead-national-museum-of-china-32.html

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Zeeshan Suchwani . I am not knowledgeable about these beads, but will be reading the future posts to this thread to learn information.

Zeeshan Suchwani likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

That was the one, you wonderful woman!:kiss: The other links are good too.

The National Museum of China link is very interesting, it has the second meteorite Dzi I have ever seen. The first one is in my humble collection.:playful: I didn't pay nearly as much, and mine looks more interesting to me, but I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It is dark here now, I'll see if I can take a photo tomorrow and show you.

17. KikoBlueEyes

Glad that worked. I'm looking forward to seeing your meteorite Dzi. I have always wished to own a meteorite myself (any kind).

Any Jewelry and Zeeshan Suchwani like this.
  18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Like this one? 3 inches long. meteor 005a.jpg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful, I am envious. I was imagining a rock not a slice though. Your piece is truly glorious since it shows the matrix of materials.

20. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's a nickle/iron meteorite which has been acid etched to show a Widmanstatten figure of the recrystallized metals after they have cooled down from entering the atmosphere.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted