Featured Age barrel clasp on Chinese porcelain bead necklace. Translation please?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have two questions about this Chinese porcelain bead necklace.
    First, the approximate age of the barrel screw clasp? It will help date the necklace.
    Second, if possible a translation of the writing please? I assume it is a poem.
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC08207 (640x440).jpg DSC08208 (640x427).jpg DSC08209 (640x427).jpg DSC08213 (427x640).jpg DSC08214 (427x640).jpg

2. AntiqueAnnie

AntiqueAnnie Well-Known Member

Sorry, I may be of no help just wanted to say that necklace is beautifuul! And the fact that the writing may be a poem, so nice. Hope you find helpful answers soon!

Sandra, lauragarnet, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Thanks Annie. I have several of these, in different colours but with round beads. This one is more special than most, because the bigger oval beads allow for more detailed decoration.

judy and AntiqueAnnie like this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Forty some years ago Gump's Department store in San Francisco had a huge sale on a lot of Chinese antiques. I remember seeing several necklaces matching yours. I ended up buying 6 or 7 scroll weights which were about 2" long. I used them as pulls on ceiling fans and on keys to furniture locks. i have to look around to see if I have any left. I always wondered what the words painted on them meant but never really asked. Now you have me wondering if they were real or not.
    greg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Thank you Stephen, I saw that one too. I think this one is 70s, a bit of a Modernist influence in the shape, but there are people on the forum who know more about costume jewellery than I do.
    Thanks Greg, forty some years ago could be right for this one too. I'm sure they look very nice as pulls.

My other Chinese porcelain necklaces have classic Chinese gold plated sterling mesh and filigree clasps. This one is the only one with this shape barrel clasp, which should be an indication of the date.

Danno and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted