Featured Age? Handmade? Country? Wool? Petit Point & Regular Tapestry Wall Hanging

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by alynnfin, Feb 25, 2023.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I bought this titled Victorian tapestry online. The magnificently done outfits of the 2 people in it look English to me, right? The two people & the fowl/birds View attachment 427621 View attachment 427622 View attachment 427623 View attachment 427624 View attachment 427625 View attachment 427626 are done in petit point and the rest is regular needlepoint. Is there such a thing as micro petit point? I have opened the back a little ^ have 3 photos of it, so it will be easier for you to tell if it is handmade or machine made. The green is the regular needlepoint & the red the petit point. IMG_0583__1677336627_93325.jpg IMG_0804__1677337704_25176-2.jpg IMG_0806__1677337633_46818.jpg IMG_0603__1677338312_39272.jpg IMG_0599__1677338367_54207.jpg IMG_0811__1677344423_54308.jpg IMG_0814__1677344358_20971.jpg IMG_0815__1677344310_78691.jpg I am guessing wool but don't know how to tell? Any info appreciated. 77"x55" Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Flemish more likely, and based on the 16th C Unicorn tapestries. But... could have been made anywhere after the fact, and most likely by machine.

3. alynnfin

Thank you moreotherstuff, you are always so helpful. Since there is both petit point on at least 5 areas, wouldn't that rule out machine? How do you tell it is hand or not? Should I open a portion of the backing?

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A look at the back would tell, but wait to see what others say. On tapestry, my go-to is pretty much machine made, but there was and is lots of handwork being done. There are plenty of kits for petit point and no doubt a dozen other names that elude me. It's a skill that's ongoing.

5. alynnfin

Not trying to harass you, but had to tell you I could not stand it and opened the back & photographed several parts of it. It does look pretty uniform which lends to machine but am still puzzled by the 5 petit point areas in the overall regular needlepoint tapestry. I love learning and am excited to hear more whether machine or not, age, country. And Flemish looks right, I checked, and I was told before you are almost always right. Thank you.

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Repairs?

You should still wait to hear from others.

7. alynnfin

No. The tiny black spots are where the weft yarn, just checked and believe that is the picture portion, are eaten or worn off. I do not see repairs.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my 1st thought would be a jacquard loom......but it is certainly complex...

GreekAntiques likes this.
  9. alynnfin

Thank you komokwa. Do jacquard looms usually mix regular needlework with petit point? I'm totally lost on this subject. If I was going to keep it, I would actually sew around and cut out the man and woman separately and frame them. They are so well done compared to the rest...in my opinion and I know nothing about needlework.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Would it be possible for most to be made by machine, and parts done by hand? I didn't look closely at the details of the stitches, though. Just a question...

[Edit] I've scanned the photos again, and the answer to my question seems to be: Unlikely.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. alynnfin

It doesn't look like stump work, from the definition to me. Thank you though. They are not raised more than the rest. Just smaller stitches.
    Thank you. Ok, so all machine probably with an ever so slight chance of all hand. Does anyone know what the back of machine vs hand needlework looks like? Komokwa, is that why you said jacquard machine because it looked like all machine from the back?

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that. would be my best guess !!!

I've seen those machines in action.....but not the older ones..

14. GreekAntiques

GreekAntiques "Wisdom begins in wonder." Socrates

I have nothing of value to add, sadly. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy and learn from your observations.

komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted