Age/Maker Delft Tobacco Jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Sep 8, 2015.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Would appreciate any information and opinions on this unmarked tobacco jar. As you can see in the photos, it has considerable exterior crazing. At first I thought the crazing was added to make the piece appear old, but I can clearly feel the crackling with my fingernail, and the pottery is fairly lightweight, so I think it is an older piece.

The lid has been lacquered, and I'm not sure if it's really brass, although a magnet doesn't stick. The hex nut holding the finial makes me think newer.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Replicas of this jar were a decorator's delight in the 60's. (Complete with crazing) Looks marvelous with forsythia or a clutch of daffodils!

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Agree, these are "everywhere" but were sold with countless variations in the decoration.

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to be reasonably sure that this wasn't a much older piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted