Age of a gold wooden shelf

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Malkim62, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Malkim62

Malkim62 Well-Known Member

niche5.jpg Hello everyone. I was hoping someone might know anything about this shelf. It's 31" long and 9" wide. It seems older to me but not sure. Thanks for any help at all.

Dale

niches6.jpg niches7.jpg niches9.jpg niche8.jpg niche16.jpg

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, a circular saw saw action here....and the hardware is fairly recent....and while it's nice enuf...it's also lacking in quality...
    so....I'll vote not that old..!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wonder whether it had a mirror originally. That blank space in the middle needs a lot of work. Someone's idea of shabby chic methinks.

Ghopper1924 and Malkim62 like this.
  4. Malkim62

Thanks for the ideas and help. I appreciate it.

Dale
    Thanks for the input. It made me do some research on saw marks. Not something I'm that good at. This website has some good information though. I hope the link works. Something else I need practice in. Maybe someone used old scrap wood to make the shelf?

Adze, Axe, or Saw Cut Marks on Lumber Indicate Building Age & Wood Cutting Methods (inspectapedia.com)

Thanks again for the help.

Dale

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is a relatively modern import. Perhaps from Indonesia. Front gooks to be coated with gesso prior to painting.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. Malkim62

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it

Dale

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I doubt that it was ever mirrored. Looks to be inspired by a niche for statues, or even a lavabo (an uncommon antique piece that provided water for visitors to wash their hands.) Agree on the newish date, an inexpensive import.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Malkim62

Hi. Thanks for the help.

Dale

Draft saved Draft deleted