Featured Age of a Rough Pontil Blue Glass Flask (19th C or Older?)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hey everyone, got an old blue flask a while ago, bought it with a few other bottles for £40. But I’m not sure of it’s age. I know that a rough pontil mark would denote 17th/18th Century handblown glass but I’m aware that the practice of blowing was used by some makers in the 19th Century. The cork would lead me to believing it’s 19th Century but the wear on the base and on the inside of the neck leads me to think that it must be older or have seen a hell of a lot of use.

The cork seems super suspicous to me but I can’t be sure. It does fit into the bottle but there is a jump on where the cork has been squashed and doesn’t seem to be something this bottle would have done. So is this bottle way older than I thought originally or later.

A38CF149-DB83-4B8C-BD67-D97A58F1AE09.jpeg 0A6A3DB8-9064-46FE-8319-ADEE00AA4787.jpeg 7A77DFB6-65C5-4458-9DB7-1F2A5225EB02.jpeg A0C63683-9B1B-4B55-863D-A054A82DD1E0.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

NewEngland, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice deep blue.....sweet little guy....the cork , likely from a wine bottle..

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Nathan,
    The cork is newer I think your bottle is newer also. The perfectly smooth rounded top points to it NOT being an older bottle.
    greg

4. Nathan Lindop

Dyou think it is a reproduction intended to look old then or dyou think it is 19th Century as opposed to older. There appears to be lots of wear on the base and around the top where it would have been used more.

judy likes this.
  5. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I doubt it's anywhere near 19th century, more like 1970's or later art glass. As to base wear a lot of the fakers out there know how to hit the base with a sander to simulate wear. Just my humble opinion :cigar::cigar:

6. Nathan Lindop

Damn, luckily I didn’t buy the lot for this it was just extra. Could have fooled me into thinking it was something more interesting than it is. Thanks for the help

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted