Featured Age of amber set, faceted beads. Help please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I need some help dating this set of an amber bead necklace and matching earrings.
    The beads are faceted and strung on individual, linked silver wires. The wires are wrapped around themselves in a rather sloppy way. The ends of the necklace and earring dangles are plain coiled wire ends.

The necklace clasp has a French boar mark, so it is newer than 1838. Not that I expected it to be older.;) I have no idea if the clasp is original though.
    The total length of the necklace proper is 44 cm/17.32", the dangle is 5.5 cm/slightly over 2".

The earrings had apparently lost their original hooks, making dating difficult.
    A previous owner had put on nasty modern copper hooks, which I replaced with sterling leverbacks.
    I suspect they would have had silver shepherd hooks originally, but I was afraid I'd lose the lightweight earrings while wearing them. Leverbacks are the safer option.
    They are 6 cm/2.36" long, including the leverback hooks.

Thank you for looking.:)

upload_2019-11-23_14-17-25.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-23_14-17-44.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-23_14-18-5.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-23_14-19-7.jpeg

And of course, the UV photo :playful:

DSC00292 (640x481).jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Lucille.b, kyratango, BMRT and 13 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very Pretty, AnyJewelry! :)

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like them! The ends of those wrapped wires look like they might scratch, though!

kyratango, Houseful, KSW and 4 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Thank you, inh.:kiss:

kyratango, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Thank you, Fig. I carefully bent the ones that really stuck out back a bit. A bit tricky, because I didn't want to chip the beads. But it is not a set to be worn with a silk blouse, that's for sure.;)

KSW, judy, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Wonderful beads. While the design is not a modern look, it does display the faceted beads well, whose texture may have been lost in a closer arrangement. I have seen a lot of carved amber, but faceted not so much especially such small pieces. And to think - you have matching earrings!

Houseful, Bronwen, KSW and 5 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect 1920s or 30s. Given how common that cut and style was for glass beads - especially Czech - I think these are in the same vein. The style and clasp and chain threading would fit, too.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Amber beads from the late 1800s early 1900s were often threaded, worn a lot and the thread is so frayed it breaks.

My guess looking at the small faceting - it that they are old beads that someone has restrung/wired to make a more contemporary necklace.

9. Any Jewelry

:):kiss:

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Thanks, obb, I did think similar glass necklaces would be a good comparison. So far I haven't found anything like this set, but will start looking at glass too.:)

11. Any Jewelry

Thanks cluttered.:) With your reply, and obb's, I am now starting to think, maybe repurposed rosary beads?
    It could be because I have been researching an antique Bavarian rosary, and came across a text mentioning that 19th century northern German rosaries were often made with Baltic amber beads and silver. The beads could easily have traveled to France, where someone put on the French clasp.
    Maybe my mind is just too full of rosary info now, no room for anything else.:playful:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Amber is wonderful!. I love this faceted type rather than the random lumps of it. So pretty even if slightly spiky in places :hilarious:

13. Any Jewelry

I love it too, although it seems to be 'totally' out of fashion nowadays. Good for me, they are cheaper than the non-faceted beads. I even got one necklace including gold clasp as a freebie with a Yemeni necklace, because the seller just couldn't sell it. No complaints from me.:happy:

i need help, judy, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

You sly one you. I bet you picked it up and admired it.

15. Any Jewelry

:D
    I actually got it from a seller on Etsy, but I did start a convo with him, which probably helped. What can I say, I come across as a nice person sometimes.:hilarious: (when not in dragon mode:bag:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    KSW, kyratango, i need help and 2 others like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

A perfect balance of charm and strength. :):):):)

17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's what makes a good dragon.

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted