Age of Beaded Purse

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by vitry-le-francois, Jun 21, 2015.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Any idea when this purse was made? Measures 6 1/2 inches wide. Can the damage/missing tassels at bottom be repaired? No markings found.

purse6.jpg purse2.jpg purse1.jpg purse3.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Looks 1900-20 to me, maybe 30s, and if you can find near identical beads then I should think so. If not, intersperse them with others so it looks like it was always like that but either way reveal that info should you sell. :)

3. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Great info, thanks! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:) For what it's worth... I'm not an expert but seen and had them around. Others here will be along to help as well I'm sure. :)
    The color may push it later but don't think earlier... :wideyed:

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There would have been a chain attached to the two loops on top

springfld.arsenal likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It looks like the lining has been cut out? I think linings on bags like this were usually made of silk, don't know if that was always true, though.

I used to make antique-looking beaded jewelry, and have circa 1920s seed beads, plus newer ones, that I think may work to repair the fringe. If I do, I'd be happy to send them to you at no cost.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was a beader, too, and have those nice old beads with TINY holes. I've reached the point where I can't see to work them any more. There are folks who do repair work. I have a collection of about 20 beaded bags and other antique beadwork. I'd say the cost to repair would not be worth the effort to repair. Look on eBay for completed auctions to see what it might be worth in this condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted