Age of table and chairs.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mrscurious, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Mrscurious

Mrscurious Well-Known Member

I have inherited this table (and 3 chairs ) from my mum, and I know that she inherited it from her mum, so possibly Victorian ? Table is 36" by 36" when leafs are in, and when both are out 36" by 5 ft
    Live in England. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Probably 1920s-30s Jacobethan Revival

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Mrscurious

Thanks Chopper, but my mum was born in 1927 and always said jt had belonged to her mum, and I'm fairly certain that i remember the table in my grans house with a felt cover over it?

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

No reason that your grandma couldn't have bought the set in the same decade that your mother was born, is there?

Mrscurious and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

like like like like like...........ect !!
    why must folks always think that just because it belonged to the grand folks....that they got it when they were 5 years old...

Mrscurious, Bakersgma and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with a 1920s date. Wood is oak.

Mrscurious and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Mrscurious

Thanks everyone.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

OP is in the UK. We tend to call them Tudorbethan, but hey, it's a name. It may be just post WW1, but we were doing this stuff before WW1, so I'm inclined to 1910s on it. Frame of the table looks to be oak, but the inset bit of the top isn't. More like elm from that original colour on the leaf.

If this had been 1920s, it would have been more likely to be dark stained. That velvet is NOT original.

Have you looked underneath the table for any scrawls or labels? Or lifted the seat out?

verybrad likes this.
  9. Mrscurious

Ownedbybear, I did have a quick look under the table but couldn't see anything, will have a better look tomorrow (table is still at my mothers) and will lift the seat out. Thanks.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

No worries. It's a decent useable well made thing. I'd probably change the velvet, but that's me.

Mrscurious likes this.
  11. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Interesting, pleasing set! I think it is cool that it is so compact; yet opens and interesting that it has such heavy features for such a petite set. Yes, I think 20's to a bit later...

Leslie

Mrscurious likes this.
  12. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

Very late 20s to 30s English draw-leaf dining table and chairs. Oak framed with a veneered centre panel on block-board frame. Part of a dining suite with matching sideboard etc. I had all sorts through my auction house general sales and we just referred to and catalogued them as 'circa 1930s draw-leaf dining table and chairs' as these were mass produced. Light oak in Britain was also a later rather than earlier fashion/theme in the first quarter of the 20thC, fitting in with the plethora of pale burr walnut/birds-eye maple veneers used during the 30's Deco period. This is definitely a 30's set even down to the floral carving on the chair back rails prolific in a lot of English Deco period furniture. Although the design origins were in the Elizabethan period these usually come under the group Jacobean Revival'.

Mrscurious likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted