Featured Age Of This Brooch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Sarajayne, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarajayne

Sarajayne Well-Known Member

This Brooch is about 2 1/2" wide. I took it to a jewelry store a few years ago and the man said it is 14K. The small stone in the center is a diamond. It has a different type clasp than I have seen before and wondering if anyone might know the approximate age?
    ZZZZZZ.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Beautiful! I'd wear it! :)

3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

If that lever on the side of the closure triggers a safety catch, this style was first used in Europe ca. 1890's. Became more commonly used in U.S. around 1910-20's.
    The filigree style of this lovely brooch was popular in the 1920's.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd almost pay money to see King in the dress this would have been worn with.(LOL) I was going to say circa 1920 too on the pin; the clasp was more common earlier and the filigree was more common after WWI until Art Deco hit in the mid-20s. This one does look like the early version; the later ones were white metal of some kind, by and large. The costume pieces were all silver-colored.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm with KoT, i would wear this also, only not on a dress but on my suit jacket lapel.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    SBSVC, KingofThings, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Almost???
    Cheapskate!

Bev aka thelmasstuff and SBSVC like this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'd guess closer to 1900 than 1920. The 'small' diamond isn't really that small. I'd think you could get $300 or better fairly easily for the brooch.

9. Sarajayne

Forgot to say when I was looking for it online 3 or 4 years ago I found one like it, no info though and they had used my exact pics! I really don't mind, took it as a compliment. :happy::happy:

SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Sarajayne, did you see the link CXGirl posted? Are those YOUR photos?

Personally, I think it's lovely, although I know myself & know I wouldn't wear it. (I'm totally boring & never change my jewelry.)

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love the brooch.... reminds me of a spider web..... amazing you found that, cxgirl!

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Where online were you trying to sell this 4 years ago, & how much were you asking for it then ..?

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Sarajayne

Yes, I saw the link. That is who I think used my pics. I have never tried to sell it.

14. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

So, the link above is using your pictures and has a description and details from a pin they don't have ? I would be ticked off.
    It also says "actual item pictured" in their photos.

15. komokwa

But they have graded the stone, and give full details on the item.
    How could they possibly do this without the brooch in hand.?
    Unless they have an almost identical brooch, in which case with the founder being a professional jewelry photographer, why would they use anyone else's photo's.

I do note that the pics on their web site include a sideways shot of the brooch...where the pin seems warped and not nearly as clean or straight as the photo of the back of the brooch seems to show.

This is indeed a mystery.....& add to that if Sara has never tried to sell this item, how could this company have found her pictures in the first place .

I can only add to this that the OP's photo's above....look professionally taken.

quirkygirl and Calico like this.
  16. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I asked the owner, he told me the pin in that photo was taken by him of the actual pin in their hands, not to mention all of the other photos on their site have the same background. Dunno. :confused:

quirkygirl likes this.
  17. komokwa

Well...there's an old saying ..from a song....

" Two men say they're Jesus....one of them must be wrong ! "

18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is no reason to believe the brooch is unique.It appears to be die stamped and possibly a hundred or more made.

19. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I'm sure the pin is not unique.

20. Sarajayne

The one thing I do not do is use other peoples pics unless I have their permission and I have only done that 2 or 3 times!

If that is al some have to do is check pics to see if they were copied, contact owner to ask, etc. I do not think I want to be a part of this group. To those who have been so kind and helpful to me I thank you!

I took those pics myself, if you prefer not to believe me that's your decision. I hope you know there are very few one of a kind pieces!