Featured Age, style, and value of Dresser?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bluepaint, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Bluepaint

Bluepaint New Member

1.Any idea how old this dresser is?

2. What style it is?

3. Approx how much it’s worth?

4. Any other info about it?

Background:
    I bought this dresser locally in central Pennsylvania, USA.
    There are no words or markings that tell me who made it. Knobs and pulls aren’t original, as you could probably tell!

I bought it for $90 from a guy who said his wife bought it for $350 from an antique mall. He said he sold it for less because it needed some work. (The main structure was cracked in several places, panels on cupboards were cracked in half, bottoms on drawers had fallen off, etc.)

It took some time, but now it's fixed: all the cracks glued, the drawer pieces back in place, door back on hinges, and put in new sliders on the big drawer, etc.

dresser IMG_2002.jpg dresser.jpg dresser IMG_2012.jpg dresser IMG_2010.jpg dresser IMG_2003.jpg dresser IMG_2013.jpg dresser IMG_2018.jpg dresser IMG_2019.jpg dresser IMG_2020.jpg dresser IMG_2016.jpg dresser.jpg dresser IMG_2002.jpg dresser IMG_2012.jpg dresser IMG_2010.jpg dresser IMG_2003.jpg dresser IMG_2013.jpg dresser IMG_2018.jpg dresser IMG_2019.jpg dresser IMG_2020.jpg dresser IMG_2016.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd call it Neo-Renaissance, ca. 1910-15 or so. As-is, in my part of the U.S. Midwest, I'd expect to see it go for about $75-$150 at auction, depending on the day.

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Very nice restoration job & GREAT info & photos! which is rare around here!:joyful:
    I'd call it Golden Oak and agree with Ghopper on the date.
    It's got machine dovetails on front and remnants of machine Knapp joint on the rear of the drawer box? Not sure I have ever seen that.

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

MY OCD wants you to replace the pulls so they all match. ;)

Nice job on restoring it.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Bluepaint

Bluepaint New Member

Ha ha, I'm working on it! Just swapping different ones out on that drawer to see what I like.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is really a small buffet, missing its top.

James Conrad likes this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Could very well be a sideboard/buffet with those cupboard doors.

9. Bluepaint

Bluepaint New Member

I think you're right. It was listed as a dresser, but I bought it to put in the kitchen! What kind of top do you think it originally had?

James Conrad likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It would have had some kind of mirrored hutch such as this one.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted