Air Raid Siren - Authentic Period Piece or Reproduction?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Shangas, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Hey folks.

A few months back, I went to China on holiday. While I was there I visited the largest flea-market in Peking, looking for some manner of truly unique souvenir. Something small, easily-carried and memorable.

I saw many things, but far too expensive to buy. Then I saw something which made me go "ooooh!". I haggled and managed to kick the price down to something I could afford.

Anyway, here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a handheld, crank-operated air-raid siren in its own pouch.

Now I've seen these things on eBay and in videos and on Google Images and stuff. And I know that there are modern reproductions of these things floating around.

My question is: Do you think that this is a modern repro. Or is it an original? If it IS an original, then it would date to the 1930s-1940s. Which would be sweet.

No, there's no markings or plaques of any kind anywhere on it. The siren is fully operational, as my extremely cheesed-off neighbours will attest to!!

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Are those Phillips head screws or ordinary ones?

3. Shangas

Hi OwnedbyBear,

Ordinary, flathead screws.

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'd like to see it in better light. Hard to see details.

5. Shangas

Hi Bev,

Yeah sorry about that. Those photos were taken in the hotel room in Peking. I can get better photographs & upload them tomorrow, no problems.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've heard that some of the Chinese repros are very realistic, that's why it would be necessary to see the paint, screws and other details.

7. Shangas

Yes I'm aware of that. That's why I had my suspicions. It's very solidly built. This isn't junk. It's quite heavy and solid steel or iron or whatever. And VERY loud! I've only run it at full-volume once in my life - when I took it to the local park to show a friend how it worked!!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

There is no need for this to be all that old. The British Civil Defense had similar hand held warning devices into the 1970s, and for all I know some similar kit may still be around to warn of chemical spills, etc.

The Chinese may well still be making and issuing these, since they remain a bit nervous of unexpected attacks.

There are also strict rules on exporting antiques from China, I don't know what age cut off they use, but you can be pretty sure that anything purporting to older than that date has to be a repro.

Looking more recently, it could be from the 50s (Korean war) or even the Vietnam war era.

9. Shangas

The market I went to had a lot of seriously old Western antiques. Stuff from the days of the Legation Quarter, and all that. Stuff that had been left behind by the Western powers after the Second World War. As for how old this thing is? I dunno. I also suspected the 1950s or later. But I didn't buy it because of its potential age. I bought it because it was unique. I always knew it might not be as old as I wanted it to be. It IS China, after all.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Unusual possibly, but they probably made up to a million of them so far from unique.

Unique is one of the most abused words in the language.

11. Shangas

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

No need to be sorry -- "rare" is another abused word in the antiques biz. You'll find that AF is our resident curmudgeon, but he's lovable and funny, and it just wouldn't be the same if he didn't post regularly! ;)

13. Shangas

I'm familiar with abused words, I'm just not sure about the bluntness of it all.

I've been collecting and researching antiques ever since highschool, and 'rare' is a frustrating term. Especially when it's used to describe items that clearly aren't rare.

Would I call my campaign desk or writing slope rare? Yes I would. Why? Because in 20 years of searching, the only ones I've seen which come CLOSE to looking like mine are all in Museums.

Would I call my silver belts rare? yes I would. Because I know where they were manufactured, in what time-period and how many survive - which ain't many, given what usually happened to them upon the death of the owners.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

All well and good Shangas....but don't forget that since the web got us all connected ....a lot of antique items that were once so hard to come by , are popping up the world over , making items you've never seen before , items that the combined membership here have seen many times over.

Now you've got some tasty treasures.....& I'm far from saying they are common place .....but I've got a secret spy cap gun I've had since I was a child.....& I'd never seen another like it.....till I searched eBlech....found 15 listed ....& realized mine was missing the knife ...& wasn't near as good as others.

Just a cautionary tale...!

Attached Files:

15. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Also bear in mind that unique means one of a kind, singular, not another one in the whole world. If there were only two of something in the entire world neither would be unique.

16. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

Are there any tags or markings on the carrying bag? Photos of the bag and the buckle would also be helpful

17. Shangas

No, there's no markings on it. That's what made me think it's a reproduction.

18. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

Photos of the bag might help. If it is a reproduction the item might be really well made, but usually the bag has the wrong clasp or snap.

19. Shangas

It's just a simple belt-like clasp. I'll get photos as soon as I can.

20. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The siren is almost certainly authentic Chinese military issue, the case is a big clue. There would be no particular reason for them to change the design from say 1960's to now. May bring $100. on a good day if you can find somebody who wants one. US-made WWII version would of course bring more but still not an easy sell. You could tell that one easily because the contracts required an ID tag be riveted on with all details of the contract, type, maker date, serial no., etc.

spirit-of-shiloh and afantiques like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted