Featured Akoya? 102” Pearl Rope Length Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Vesuvia, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Hello all, I’m so excited to have found y’all! I’ll attempt to keep my posts evenly paced, but wooooOoo...I just have so many pretties to share and find out about. :D

This is an amazing pearl necklace which measures in at a whopping 102”, all the pearls have a bright, lustrous nacre and are very well matched in circumference, color, and quality. I can’t tell what sort of pearls they are however, freshwater? Akoya?

I am looking to sell them, and a bunch of other jewelry from my collection to fund my move to Carlsbad, CA, where I have been given the amazing opportunity to attend the GIA GG program. Might someone assist me with an idea of what the price range for something like this (quite frankly, drop dead gorgeous) 102” 8-9mm pearl necklace on double hand knotted white silk cord might be? 57B71E25-B3F5-489B-B084-9963CA813437.jpeg 5F3F159C-BB34-42B9-9043-6C10E1D94341.jpeg AEA215A2-5E2C-4F89-BB4C-3CAAB80EBE9D.jpeg E841717F-78D8-4646-BEDB-39ECA1D330C9.jpeg

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Beautiful necklace, Vesuvia, and welcome to the forum! Others will be along shortly to help.

kyratango, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  3. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Wonderful! Thank you for the warm welcome, I hope to be able to contribute in a meaningful way to this lovely community :) cheers! I’m very happy to have discovered you all.

judy, KSW, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice pile of pearls! I'd be betting on freshwaters, but the only real way to know for sure what you've got is an x-ray. If those darned things are natural (nacre all the way to the core, i.e. a grain of sand) .... yipe. Cultured pearls are a coating of nacre over a bead of some sort, often shell. Chinese cultured freshwater pearls are all over the place now, but a rope that size even of those would command a good price.

Vesuvia, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good photo's........... but I'm a swine ! :playful::playful::playful:

Vesuvia, kyratango and judy like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Stunning necklace with such lovely lustre. No idea on price I'm afraid.

Vesuvia, kyratango and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with evelyb on freshwater. Akoyas have a different sheen.
    Gorgeous necklace though, and nice quality.

KSW, Vesuvia, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am wowed you are going to GIA school-congratulations!

kyratango, KSW, Vesuvia and 1 other person like this.
  9. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Thank you all, I had a strong suspicion that they were freshwater. I think the Akoya was a nice title bit of wishful thinking on my part ;D

kyratango, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not all, eh.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted