Albrecht Dürer - Portrait of a Young Venetian Woman - in gold frame. Value?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Botanic, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Botanic

Botanic Member

Hi all

I am hoping to sell this:

IMG_20191217_095951983 for Forums.jpg

But I don't really know anything about such art, how much it might be worth, and how one would go about valuing it. Can anyone give me any pointers please? I've no idea of its age either to be honest.

Happy to upload more photos or check if for anything that might help.

Many thanks

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given it's a reproduction of an old master, the value is decorative. If your intention is to sell, do check to see if the frame is truly wood; it's very likely composite. A Google search for "Durer Portrait of a Venetian Woman Shop," will bring up comparables to give you an idea of value. Here's one in a less ornate frame. (Keep in mind that $98 is an asking price.)

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 6.25.44 AM.png

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe people would buy it for the frame.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah. It adds a lot of pizzaz. Incorrect for the painting and its period, of course.

Debora

Portrait_of_a_Young_Venetian_Woman_1505_Dürejpg.jpg

5. Botanic

Botanic Member

Yeah, I couldn't afford the original :)

Thanks for the replies and help.

Any other thoughts on a potential price bracket most welcomed. In the meantime I'll take a look at the frame material and perhaps take some additional snaps, as soon as I get a mo.

Cheers

Debora likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My family has a Dürer of our very own too. In the easy-to-transport postcard size.

Debora

IMG_8430.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  7. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I have just the one Durer, and coincidentally it is that same postcard.

Debora and judy like this.
  8. Botanic

Botanic Member

Hi all

Found some time this morning - helped by the rain and the dog's unwillingness to go out and get wet - so have pulled the picture apart and taken some more pics.

The frame has a Made In China sticker on the back. Can't tell if it is wood or not.

The painting itself is certainly no paper print. It's on either a thick card, or possibly even thin wood. Again, I can't tell. And I've no idea if the picture itself is printed, painted or what. It has some writing on the back in pencil. I can make out m257 (I think), but the rest I can't fully make out. I welcome any guesses from those better at deciphering handwriting than I am. I'm not much help am I!!?!

I know the writing is unlikely to be significant anyhow. I suppose I was hoping that all the photos together might help with a valuation and/or more thoughts on how old it is, how good a quality, etc.

As I've taken quite a few snaps, I thought best to upload them to Google Drive. Hope that's ok. Happy to post the pics if that's preferred though.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x68bFa2X4qu5SgX2_QYHwwhy7hpXIJL-?usp=sharing

Many thanks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  9. CheersDears

I reckon it's a fairly modern print -- maybe 1970s-ish?? -- and not of any serious value. The writing looks like pretty modern cursive. But we all like what we like, and if it finds a spot in your place then you should keep it and enjoy it. She is very lovely.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Botanic

Botanic Member

Cheers CheersDears... I'm glad I put my teeth in before saying that! :)

She definitely won't be staying here. I like her but she doesn't suit the house and the rest of our stuff.

Any kind of ball park idea of a price would be very helpful, although I appreciate with these things it's what someone's willing to pay. I wouldn't know where to start though.

Regarding the picture itself, is it a print or ??? Can anyone tell from the photos?

Ta

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit newer. The world wasn't flooded with Made in China imports until the 1990s. Frame clearly mass produced. Reiterate unlikely to be carved wood. Value remains decorative.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. CheersDears

It is a print, for sure, and your Google Drive photo suggests a bit of age. Also that whoever stuck it in there didn't have too much regard for it. But whether it is 70s or 90s is irrelevant. It is a modern print in a fake antique frame. I reckon $50 at a yard sale would be optimistic, but I've no idea what buyers are like where you live. I sincerely hope they are more generous than the miseries around here :) Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 9.26.31 am.png

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I hate to brandish values around but... If someone bought it off me for $35-$50 at a yard sale, I'd think it was a very good day.

Debora

14. CheersDears

I did say optimistic, but if someone thought it was old, well, what ho. It is a good-looking frame and not an unattractive put together. I imagine it'd go $50 easily enough in a shop, but it's a while since I've been rummaging in the USA.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value is in the frame. I would be lucky to get $30-40.00 for it.

CheersDears and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted