Featured Albumen Prints - Brogi

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by sabre123, Aug 17, 2018.

1. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Picked these two 8" x 10" Albumen prints by Giacomo Brogi (6 April 1822 – 29 November 1881) up at a local garage sale for a few bucks a piece.

They're 8" x 10" each. The photo in landscape format is of Piazza della Signoria / Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy. Assuming circa mid-to late- 1800s

Unfortunately, they weren't professionally matted. There is some acid damage to the mats and substrates.

Anyhow, thought I'd share them for your perusal.

IMG_6535.JPG IMG_6538.JPG IMG_6534.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful -- are you going to change the mats? Or do something else with them?

3. sabre123

They're pretty much stuck together and somewhat fragile. I'm considering doing a double mat, as much as I don't like that look. Or if I can find/make a frame that's got just a little smaller opening, I'd just hide the bad matting job that way.

I am certainly open to other ideas.

4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Those are simply gorgeous.

5. sabre123

Thank you, Aaron.

Christmasjoy and Mugzinnys like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know about the seond one (yet), but the first was taken from inside the Loggia dei Lanzi (more or less the wool-dealers porch).

7. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

Very nice I would love to have found those

Christmasjoy, Fid and sabre123 like this.
  8. sabre123

Thanks for the that info! Looking that up gives me a better perspective on the surroundings.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, sabre. The depth is amazing.
    I think the second one is the convent of San Marco, famous for the stunning Fra Angelico frescos.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think S. Marco, but could easily be wrong. The cloister columns of S. Marco, as found online, rest on a short wall, and the capitals are different. Very distinctive capitals in the the Brogi photo. Other differences as well.

The walls, with those marble plaques, also ought to be a clue. Some walls are decorated with architectural fragments from the period of empire or earlier. I don't think that's the case here. These are too rectangular, might be memorials.

The fact that both photos were found together suggests both are of Florence, but that's not necessarily true. Might not even be Tuscany.

The Fra Angelico frescos are spectacular. They exude serenity.

sabre123 and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

They were the main reason I went to Florence, and I wasn't disappointed. I also visited his grave in the Santa Maria sopra Minerva in Rome, to pay my respects to one of Italy's greatest artists.

sabre123 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. sabre123

Thanks to both of you. I did some searching last night on the second one and found some similar looking courtyards in Florence, but did not find a match. I may have gone down the San Marco route, but it's all running together. I'll take a look.

I was thinking memorials as well and tried doing some targeted searching that way. Still a mystery.

Thanks again!

edit:
    Most Brogi Albumens I've seen have the info for the locale under the photograph. I don't know if I can gingerly pry the mat back and have a look. It all seems very tightly secured.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Any Jewelry, Jivvy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  14. sabre123

That's it!

This is outstanding, moreother! I spent a lot of time looking and came up with nothing. I REALLY appreciate your research on this.

Thank you :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

sabre123 likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's the Ospedale degli Innocenti, not "delli" (I knew that didn't seem right).

Any Jewelry, sabre123 and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

The pronunciation would be the same. I think the photographer was feeling peckish and was planning to go to a neighbourhood deli after posting.

sabre123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted