Featured Alicia Mexican Silver Jewelry - Choker/Bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 24, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The "Alicia" on these 950 Silver pieces is written in script. I looked up Alicia Mexican Silver and there seems to be a famous artist name Alicia but the mark is different. Can you help me do a better job of research by pointing me in the right direction, please. The pieces are a choker and a matching bracelet with tiger's eye and black onyx (I think) stones. The mark on the necklace is very distinct; the one on the bracelet is not. Any comments appreciated.

IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4496.jpg IMG_4493.JPG IMG_4494.JPG IMG_4495.JPG IMG_6084.JPG IMG_6078.JPG IMG_6082.JPG IMG_6097.JPG IMG_6101.JPG

ezeepass, kyratango, KSW and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    Lovely set, Kiko, nice quality.
    I have it.:D
    Alicia is the name of a silver retailer in Taxco. Alicia is also known as Alicia Plata (silver) and Joyería Alicia (jeweller).
    Hougart doesn't seem to know if there ever was a lady called Alicia, or if they just picked a nice name.

The codes are the tax registration codes for the different silversmiths that sell their jewellery to the retailer. No great names, and the people at Alicia's probably tell them what is in demand. TO-40 is the registration code of one of the makers known to be associated with Alicia, and O was clearly doing a good job.;)
    Some of those silversmiths start out under the wings of a retailer until they have a reputation and can set up a shop of their own. But most are happy the way things are, working with the security of a retailer who will buy their jewellery.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    ezeepass, komokwa, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Tiger's eye and probably black dyed travertine.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for this information.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I found an answer - Alicia Cuevas de Ortiz signs Alicia in script TO-40 according to one website. Started in the 1960's. @Bakersgma do you know anything about this?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    ezeepass, Figtree3, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that I don't, Kiko. Which website did you see that on?

judy, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALICIA-CUE...CAN-950-STERLING-LINKS-BRACELET-/312674641829
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Al...r-Eye-950-Silver-Bracelet-Taxco-/293206192048
    This one does not have the TO-40 but the script Alicia
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/258863...silver-bracelet-signed?show_sold_out_detail=1
    This one gives more history and sites a reference book but has her as TD-27
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/1045189-1029/Alicia-Cuevas-de-Ortiz-950-Silver

judy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  8. Bakersgma

So if I understand correctly, you only saw these listings and not a reference site, right?

I'm confused by the TD-27. I don't think they would have listed her under D. I could go with a C, but not a D. Maybe the person who wrote that listing (and presumably actually looked at the book) made a mistake.

What we really need here is someone with a copy of that book! ;)

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Only these listings attached to that name. There are a number of websites that have Alicia TO-40 and one that has Alicia in script with TO96 - all with no name. Yes. Search for the Bille Hougart's highly respected source book, The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks (2006 edition)!!!!!!!!! Maybe @Marie Forjan has it.

ezeepass and judy like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

@Bakersgma I found a copy of the book at the Los Angeles Central Library, but that will take me an hour to get to. Let's hope someone else has one.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Would @komokwa possibly have the book???

12. Hollyblue

13. KikoBlueEyes

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

That would be great!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Hollyblue said it was a tax number. The link you gave me seem to indicate it was a number assigned to silversmiths. Perhaps, I misunderstood and the purpose for the number was not to differentiate artists but rather than to collect money in the form of taxes.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Please understand - I know only what the 925-1000 site has to say about Mexican silver marks. I have no other secret sources. If the site is in error, I have no way of knowing that.

I have no idea why Holly said it was a tax number - that's a new one on me. She could be right but then that makes everything on 925-1000 about the 1979 letter and number scheme a total waste of space - that does not make sense to me.

I give up.

19. KikoBlueEyes

Hey. I know you are a silver person and were only trying to help, which I soooooooooooo appreciate. You have helped me so much on other questions about spoons and such, I am always amazed at your broad knowledge and expertise. I wasn't trying to press you to answer more than you already know. You have knowledge about how to research things, and you gave me a lot of good ideas. Thank you so much for your help.

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  20. Bakersgma

That's okay, Kiko. You are always welcome to ask. I'm really glad you found a copy of the book available near you. I think we will all benefit from what you can report about what it says on this subject. :)

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  21. Hollyblue

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/identification-help-mexico-silver-necklace.43481/#post-1169096

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted