'ALVAR' ESTATE FIND - BUT SIGNATURE LOOKS LIKE DIFFERENT NAME?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 27, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I found this at a estate sale yesterday and grabbed it - because there was a line of people behind me coming in & grabbing stuff - all I did was look at the big certificate on the back & paid. But when I got home with my stuff and took a closer look at it, the signature looks like something different; I don't see Alvar in it!?
    Is this a Sunol Alvar?
    If so, does anyone know it's name/title?
    Thank you!

ART PRINT ALVAR 1AA.JPG ART PRINT ALVAR 2AA.JPG ART PRINT ALVAR 3AA.JPG ART PRINT ALVAR 4AA.JPG ART PRINT ALVAR 5AA.JPG ART PRINT ALVAR 6AZZ.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Alvar looks like the dealer, not the artist.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Colors look similar to the work of Alvar Sunol, and I think that is the artist that is mentioned on the back--whether it goes with the signed print or not, but I'm not as good as some folks here comparing artistic styles.

See what you mean by the signature.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm sorry, but it looks to me like the artist on the front tore the ad out of a magazine and poorly taped it on the back of the work. The art is not bad and the style is somewhat similar to Alvar's, and I don't know Alvar, but from what I'm seeing, the siggys aren't anywhere near the same.....
    ZZZZZZ s0417922-006.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Not Alvar at all.

Houseful likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Was afraid of that - thanks anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted