Featured Am I old or made to look it? Open back, prong set stones w/ shepherd's hook clasp choker.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, May 4, 2019.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Picture heavy!!

16" in length Not sure of the metal content or what the stones are Nothing is precious but still this stumps me I am thinking early 20th century and from Europe somewhere??? Any help is very much appreciated The metal does not cling to a magnet I do not think it is aluminum or stainless The hook is a little suspicious to me It seems like a lot of work for regular, old costume Maybe just a piece of nicer costume? Thank you for any help fullsizeoutput_2c6f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c6e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c70.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c71.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c7c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c82.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c84.jpeg

judy, kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Czech glass, early 1950s? It's got a lot of the 1930s in the construction, but the clasp is wrong unless it was replaced at some point. Those open-backed clear stones were a Thing for a while.

judy, kyratango, i need help and 3 others like this.
  3. gauntlettgems

I was thinking Czech but I am not good at identifying those things. Than you so much for the help. I hope all is well!!!

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Had exactly the same thoughts as Evelyb, sort of 30s in feel, but the clasp is more 50s.

This is a nicer one as it has that extra feature at the front.

If you search "open backed rhinestone necklace" you will get some non-matches but also some exactly with this kind of setting and in different versions on Ebay. I sometimes see these vintage clear stone open back necklaces marketed to brides.

This doesn't look like sterling, but some of the early ones are sterling set.

Pretty.

P.S. Nice to see you posting!

judy, kyratango, i need help and 4 others like this.
  5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I wonder if they were trying for an earlier look? If I'm not mistaken, the shape of the round stones are similar to old rose cut diamonds?

6. gauntlettgems

Thank you!!! I took on another job after I purchased my home last year and I have let ebay and other things go to H.E. double hockey sticks in a basket. I finally got a better schedule so I should start coming around more often and start listing again. Glad to hear from y'all. And as always, I am so thankful for the help.

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I dunno. My gut feel is it's fairly modern, having seen a few similar. There's shops doing those hook and ball dangle clasps now.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  8. gauntlettgems

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I have had very similar open backed rhinestone necklaces like this that were positively vintage right down to the matching 50's clip dangle earrings. Same exact settings as this necklace. Not impossible the hook was replaced or maybe an older one was actually made like that. I wouldn't rule out vintage.

gauntlettgems and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted