Amand-Durand Intaglio Art Print Facsimile Photogravure

Discussion in 'Art' started by moreotherstuff, May 30, 2018.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Charles Amand-Durand (frequently mis-spelled Armand), 1831-1905, has been on these boards before. He was French, and a pioneer of photogravure (heliogravure). He would take careful photographs of old and rare prints and create etchings from those photos. If necessary to restore detail lost through the photography, his plates would receive additional hand work.

I thought it might be nice to have a print from him and have just realized that I already have one.

The original of this print is by Francesco Rosselli, Italian, c1448-1513. (plate 7 from the Life of the Virgin and Christ, c. 1470)

This is 3rd or 4th quarter 19th C, on laid paper of the period, showing no watermark.

It's not the most dramatic print (he did plenty more famous and recognizable), but it's very clearly marked on the back with Durand's red seal. (Durand had a reputation for scrupulously marking his prints.)

z.jpg

Charles Amand Durand 1831-1905 Art Print Mark Etching Engraving Photogravure Heliogravure.jpg

The thing is: I knew what I had, but couldn't remember the name... so I did an image search... and found... nothing. So I did up this gang print of the mark and loaded it down with keywords in the hope that the bots will pick it up and it will be easier to ID for someone else (don't know if the gang printing will interfere with that).

Here's the earlier thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/durer-print.18749/#post-255132

And a link from it:
    https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/7x012-durer-knight-death-devil-watermark.html

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice -- thanks for the information!

Draft saved Draft deleted