Featured Amazing key

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Oldsoul1979, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Oldsoul1979

Oldsoul1979 Member

IMG_20190317_122212.jpg IMG_20190317_122310.jpg IMG_20190317_122228.jpg IMG_20190317_122156.jpg IMG_20190317_122318.jpg I found this key at a local antique market, and fell in love with it. The seller said he thought it was 16th century and the figure is the devil, but I have no idea. It's a skeleton key, and seems to be made of iron. Any information would be helpful. I love the faces on the sides of the key bow.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

A skeleton key is a type of master key in which the serrated edge has been removed so that it can open numerous locks, most commonly the warded lock.

The term derives from the fact that the key has been reduced to its essential parts.

I doubt this is 500 years old.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice mystery:)
    Could you edit your post, more options, and click the box post all as full images?
    Better for us all to see :cyclops:;)

Jivvy, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe , the devil is in the details...:playful:

5. Oldsoul1979

Oldsoul1979 Member

I agree.....not 500 years old.....just what the dealer said. It seems to be hand forged.

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Oldsoul1979

Oldsoul1979 Member

I think the images are bigger now....thanks!

kyratango, Jivvy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I seem to be able to make out a parting line on it - so more likely an iron casting.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like iron casting to me too, rather primitively formed, could have been made anytime really but some artists were working similarly in the 1970s. This could also be imported from Mexico.

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looks Victorian to me

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have to look around, I think I have a "church key" (bottle opener) with the same handle.
    greg

11. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Does a magnet stick to both ends? Some photos in natural light would be helpful. Looks like a chamberlain’s key, in spirit anyway.

sabre123 and Jivvy like this.
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Davey, what you call a skeleton key is a master key on this side of the pond. This would be call ed a skeleton key here.

I would think the OP's is most likely mid twentieth century and served no lock.

13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Mirriam Webster, American.
    Definition of skeleton key
    : a key with a large part of the bit filed away to enable it to open low quality locks as a master key

Jivvy likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Where id Bev? Her husband is a locksmith. What we call skeleton keys are really called case keys. I have hundreds of the ones we call skeleton keys but are really something else.
    greg

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

True 16th century keys for comparison.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

antidiem and charlie cheswick like this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yep, here in the USA we commonly call keys like this skeleton keys even though they technically are not.
    I know nothing about keys but my first impression was "decorative reproduction" (of a key that likely never existed). The "wear" looks too contrived and the bit is rather stereotypically simplistic. Hopefully, y'all prove me wrong. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@bluumz but I think you are right! :kiss:

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted