Featured Amazing seed bead necklace Beautiful clasp Made France

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 15, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

ITALY!!. Why did I type France :banghead:.
    The beads are the tiniest I think I’ve ever seen. If this was hand threaded it was a true labour of love.
    The question is- does anyone recognise if this is something that needs restoring as it’s recognisable as made by a known name or can I just reuse the clasp?. What is the clasp depicting?. Incredibly fragile.
    I don’t want to even think about the hours of work if it needs restoring!!.
    It came in the small jewellery box as seen in photo if that helps with dating although it’s unlikely to be its original box I feel?.
    Thanks for looking :)
    IMG_1426.jpg IMG_1427.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1429.jpg IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1431.jpg IMG_1433.jpg IMG_1434.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m still looking, maybe some other eyes will come on board. :)

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those little leather boxes are typically Florentine.

Debora

6. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Msalicia, Lucille.b, patd8643 and 5 others like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

kyratango, Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. I didn't know that. Do you think it's contemporary with the necklace? 60s?

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, necklace clasp post-World War II. You don't give length but, to my eye, 1960s most likely for both it and box.

Debora

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Cool. If these are size 10 or 11 beads they are fairly common, though a nice deep color. If they are smaller than an 11, they could be very useful to someone.

https://www.treefrogbeads.com/product/antique-micro-beads-tsp-raspberry/

If you go to this link and click on the last picture on the page, it gives you a size comparison chart that shows from 7 to 18. Sizes 6, 8, 10, and 11, and some 15 are readily available. Sizes 15 through 18 are very useful for repairing beaded purses, etc. and for very detailed patterns, and are hard to find. (remember - larger the number smaller the bead)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou Elarnia, that is very very helpful as I didn't realise they had a value in themselves. There are 27 to the inch or 11 to the cm so I'll try to work out what that means but great to know what people use them for.

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Love the bright bold color.

Bronwen, KSW and kyratango like this.
  13. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Is it glass or possibly ox blood coral?

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I assumed they were glass. I've still got them so I'll dig them out and look under a loupe.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

see chart... http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2017/05/seed-bead-size-table.html

If you use the right beading needle,it really doesn't take log for a strand.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    elarnia, KSW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted