Featured Amber? bead necklace...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by aaroncab, Dec 5, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

One thing I keep my eye out for at the thrifts (thanks to having seen a few threads on here) is amber. With the exception of one pendant I showed a few months ago, I haven't spotted any, until today(I think).

About 32" long - the largest bead is just over an inch long. Weighs 75 grams total.

I've done the saltwater float test (they float) as well as looked with a UV light and there is a pale greenish blue hazy glow from my wimpy UV light. Sooo...I'm thinking real amber...you tell me what you think - here's the pics:
    31244760367_d44e750eb7_kdev.jpg 44366647020_028fd3fe61_kdev.jpg 44366647980_9927696af6_kdev.jpg 31244740727_b23c003160_kdev.jpg 31244761447_7e0168304c_kdev.jpg 32311920508_9e7f6aca8a_kdev.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice shots....I'm hoping someone can verify these from the pics......
    my vote is they look real..

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Sounds promising. The way the beads are all slightly different sizes & shapes also seems encouraging.

judy, aaroncab, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They don't really look like amber, and the swirls mean polystyrene.:( The colour and shape are also too consistent, but that can be seen in reconstituted amber as well.
    A pretty necklace though.

Polystyrene swirls:
    31244761447_7e0168304c_kdev.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    i need help, aaroncab, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Will defer to others on the amber question.

Have to say, what ever this is, it is a bit unusual. Hand knotted, graduated. Off hand, it doesn't scream Bakelite to me, but if definitely not amber, it is the first thing I would test. The older plastic beads were not often hand knotted so if it is older, just curious what is going on here. Also the beads appear to have no seams. It is just unusual enough to merit some additional research.

Bronwen, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  6. aaroncab

Unusual yes :) I don't think they are bakelite for a couple of reasons - they passed the floating in salt water solution test. I think bakelite sinks in salt water. Also I'm familiar with the smell of bakelite when put under very hot water - and these don't have that smell when warmed. I don't have any simichrome polish to do the official bakelite test - but I'm leaning towards that they are not.

AJ, I'm trying to find other examples of polystyrene jewelry beads that look like these. I know that might not be readily available on the internet. When I search polystyrene beads I get mostly packing materials - or other things that don't really resemble these at all. I get what you're saying about the swirls and lack of color variation among the beads though. Would you consider the coloring in these beads in this auction to be "swirls" like mine? (just trying to learn to help myself better ID this stuff ) :

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels...d-untreated-egg-yolk-amber-necklace-156-grams
    7ec17084-176d-4266-9ed1-26eaa1858edc.jpg

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Get a UV Light on them. Blue veil is amber. Those don't look right, imo.

aaroncab likes this.
  8. aaroncab

Thanks Bear,

Not being familiar with the blue veil effect, I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing under my UV light or not - but hey definitely have a greenish blue haze/slight glow to them - not like other plastic/bead items I have.

Not un-similar to the glow in this video:

Attempt at a pic:

31252436687_bcc48f5b27_kdev.jpg 45467508124_b8a731a6da_kdev.jpg

i need help likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Not amber. That's a pin point. If they were amber, you'd see a very diffuse veiing effect without that central bright spot, if that makes sense. That video is a tad misleading on what it actually looks like.

10. aaroncab

Thanks again! I'm going to assume (with very good info/advice) that these are not amber, but I'm going to circle back at them when I have a better UV light - honestly this one is very very weak - and flickers - it's dying - so I'm not sure i'm able to properly show the glow i'm seeing - but for now I'm marking these as not being amber. Thanks again so much for your help!

judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

You're very welcome.

judy, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Aaron, I should have said dark swirls. Here is a site that mentions them, under #9:
    http://ethnicjewelsmagazine.com/the-identification-of-amber-and-its-copies/

It is also good to take a look at the photos at the bottom of the page, there are some examples of copies that can confuse a lot of people. Amber is one of the trickiest materials to identify.

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  13. aaroncab

No apologies needed here. Only thanks to you for taking the time to help me understand this truly tricky subject!

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, so much for my vote......but the 'learning' here is great !!! :)

i need help, bluumz, judy and 3 others like this.
  15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm not an amber expert, and don't mean to hijack the thread or induce arguments....but I have a saved link that mentions "Amber is fluorescent in uv light at wavelengths from 320nm to 380nm (some say its only from 320-365nm)" - and not all blacklights have the right wavelength to produce results even with genuine amber. Another site mentions that different types of amber may produce different amounts of fluorescence, some needing rather powerful lights to get results.
    Long discussion thread on types of blacklights for amber testing at http://budgetlightforum.com/node/37212

....but I certainly am not disagreeing with any of the previous comments.

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

good point on the blacklight all_fakes:) lots of the flashlight style or the little hand held lights aren't strong enough.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

OTOH these don't "smell" like amber to me either.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted