Amber Blown Molded Glass Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Any help with the maker and age?
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. kardinalisimo

Searched quite a lot but no luck finding the same piece. Pattern is buttons and daisies, I guess, with two flowers with leaves in the panels.
    That is a pontil but not a "cut shut" scar on the bottom, right? So, mold blown, not pressed? But the interior is kind of smooth rather than mimicing the pattern.

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

If the interior is smooth it was pressed and then stuck up(attached) on a pontile rod to heat the top so the worker could tool over the cupped rose bowl shape. For some reason Indiana comes to mind.

4. kardinalisimo

Was this technique common for a specific time or/and maker or could habe been used any time?

5. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

6. kardinalisimo

It does look like mine bowl. Let's assume it is by Hobbs. Did they produce glass in just amber color? I see they did yellow and amber to red.

7. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Kardi,
    are the flowers on your's molded or wheel cut?

I couldn't find any in amber glass, but couldn't spend much time on it earlier, either.

I'm going to ping @TallCakes for this.

Oh! and is it 4 panel or 6 panel?

8. George Nesmith

Pressed glass became production feasible in the 1860s with the advent of the soda-lime formula. This a method of manipulating pressed glass followed soon after. I do not think this is that old.

9. George Nesmith

Hobbs made Amber. I do not spot that shape in Bredehoft's book. Wright would be high on my list of suspects.

10. kardinalisimo

6 panels, flowers are molded.

11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Neither of these footed rose bowls was made by any Hobbs Co., neither Hobbs, Brockunier & Co., or its successor, Hobbs Glass Co.
    I don't know who did make it, but suspect it was made in the mid 20th century.

12. kardinalisimo

I contacted the Ebay seller with the clear bowl and was told his piece was shown in one of his reference books. Did not say which one.

13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I have a bowl with a very similar pattern that may be identical? My bowl is 3 toed/footed with a flare top rim. A few years ago I posted a query about it on eBay's PGP board. It was IDed as by McKee, their "Snappy" line dating from c1918. From Sandra McPhee Stout's book "The Complete Book Of McKee Glass," p. 186 - picture of the bowl, p. 163 - text:

"The innovation line referred to as Snappy was brought out in 1918 and patented under design patent number 53,491 to Maurice A Smith on October 7, 1919. This line was classified in the Miscellaneous items of Innovation cut glass."

Now whether it is the same pattern or not, I'll let y'all decide with the following pics. At the moment can't find the patent online, but do have an Adobe Acrobat file of it that am attaching to this message. Hope it works.

I should have added at the beginning that the pattern of my bowl looks identical to the one Laura posted.

--- Susan

McKeeSnappyBowlLevel.jpg

McKeeSnappyBowlEtch.jpg
    McKeeSnappyBowlBottom.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  14. Ladybranch

BTW, Replacements has this "Snappy" pattern by McKee in clear and pink. I have no idea if it came in any other colors. Also my bowl does not have a rough pontil like K's has.

--- Susan

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    That pontil is what made me think it is made by someone else. McKee always had a nice finish.
    greg

16. Ladybranch

According to the following website, McKee "Snappy" was one of their "Innovation" line glass patterns. Thatcher Glass bought out McKee in 1952. Thatcher was new to me. I know nothing about it. Anyhow it seems they used McKee stuff and such. I wonder if K's bowl was a Thatcher production? I agree with you, Greg, on the quality difference. I believe the motif on mine is hand-cut? The following page is on McKee's Innovation glass line that included "Snappy." Thatcher is mentioned as possibly producing this pattern in milk glass under the "Colors are cystal, rose, green, blue and Vaseline" section - a good 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way down the page.

https://janvierroad.wordpress.com/2...ation-glass-that-was-truly-ahead-of-its-time/

Edit added:
    According to the following webpage, Tallcakes was in on a discussion of McKee Innovation Line that included this "Snappy" pattern by MeKee/Thatcher.

Read the comments:
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/44329-depression-glass-bowl

--- Susan

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  17. George Nesmith

The coloreless bowl has cut flowers and the amber molded flowers. Thatcher may have reworked the mold to eliminate the cutting or maybe the cutting was added to the molded petals to enhance the value.

18. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

That's what the "Innovation" line was, pressed, so it could be cut over, no great amount of labor or even skill required. There were flowers there when it came from the mold. Some got "enhanced" others not.

19. kardinalisimo

Thanks for all the replies. All that new information is very interesting.
    I wonder why some pieces were left with no over cuts. Maybe some workers had long days and said at the end od their shifts ' f it, I'm not cutting this ' :)
    So, Mckee did not do the bowl in amber, Thatcher is mentioned to have done it possibly in milk glass.
    Maybe someone else put their hands on the mold...

Draft saved Draft deleted