Amber Crackle Glass Pear, Blenko?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tauriel, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

5 ' tall no pontil or marks on bottom, any ideas as to maker?
    THANKS!
    IMG_6598 copy.jpg

2. User 67

User 67 Active Member

5 inches tall? Glass fruit is fairly common. Unusual is the crackly glass and green stem, so this looks high-end decor. It is very nicely made, but I don't know that any important companies made these. I could see it in one of those little import/fancy nooks at a department store where they mix artisan made (Chihuly knock-off) with designer label (Kosta Boda), and but I would expect this to be the "unnamed" import, put in the mix that week.

The glass fruit were popular in the late 60's and 1970s, then there was a revival with dollar store glass fruit in the 1990s. This is one of the nicest examples I have seen. But I tend to buy the cheaper ones, for my art work, and like to pay $1 ea. As an ornament is may look strange by itself, without a collection of other glass fruit.

3. Bridgets628

Bridgets628 Member

I responded over at E Pgp , Im fairly certain this is by Rainbow glass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh and User 67 like this.
  4. User 67

User 67 Active Member

That's brilliant Brigets!

You hotlinked a pinterest image, and they might take it down.

From your links I found this info,
    www.pinterest.com/pin/68257750571983313/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/320811968986

Ended Dec 16, 2011 11:26:51 PST
    Winning bid: US $18.00 [ 1 bid ]
    Shipping: $11.94 Economy Shipping
    Item location: Virginia, United States
    Seller:ir8ndn (3358 )

The link from pinterest must be what is keeping the ebay auction in the system?

(Description)
    ~VinTage~ 1950's - 1960's ? ~ Hand-Blown-CRACKLE-Art-Glass PEAR (Gourd ?) (fruit) - PaperWeight - w/ Green Stem by RAINBOW Glass Co. of Huntington, W. Va. (West Virginia) U.S.A.~Original Label/sticker still attached~Absolutely Gorgeous Tangerine / Orange color Glass w/ an 'Abundance' of 'Textured' Crackle (almost looks like 'double' Crackle ?~ PerFect condition~No chips, nicks, dings, bites, scratches, etc.~Stansd 5 1/2 inches Tall, approx. 2 5/8 inches across bulbous (widest) part, weighs approx. 11 ounces (ozs.)~~Really Neat - UnUsual - piece of hand blown Crackle Glass by RAINBOW~~Have a...~\@@/~...

PS: If those are suppose to be eyeballs, I'm going to have trouble falling asleep tonight.

5. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

Bridgets628 and liifont THANK YOU!! for all the id/info I 'm lovin' this board :)

6. Bridgets628

Bridgets628 Member

Hmm, I thought I just downloaded the pic and uploaded it here? Not great with all the technical stuff lol

7. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

The size.. 5 1/4" is right for Rainbow but it is definitely Amber and not the Tangerine/ Orange as shown in your pic. You did post a pic above :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted