Featured Amber or copal?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by c.free, Jul 13, 2020.

1. c.free

c.free Active Member

Here is my Amber necklace that I am now thinking might be copal. I am thinking it might be copal because of the crazing and cracked bead. My guess is that it is from Mexico an 1970’s. But I live in Texas so I always guess Mexico when I’m not sure. Usually it is pretty good guess. I buy most of my jewelry at estate sales so it is often hard to tell. I have been reading tons of y’all’s posts. I’m learning a lot and getting to look at some really cool jewelry. I will start posting moe of my stuff. And I thank you in advance for your help. I find it fascinating to learn more about the jewelry I wear. 27E19EE9-5ECC-4917-BB71-1D799023AE73.jpeg 783423E8-52E8-40C0-89E2-867295742AE4.jpeg 9ECA61C7-921B-4161-8238-70AB6785224A.jpeg 9ECA61C7-921B-4161-8238-70AB6785224A.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, that crazing makes a case for copal. It could still be amber though, even with the fractures. What colour is it under a UV light?
    And try a drop of acetone on one of the chips. If the chip becomes sticky, it is copal.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    kyratango and reader like this.
  3. c.free

c.free Active Member

Is Uv the same as a black light?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

My understanding is that black light is a UVA light. Others will correct if I’m wrong.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Strictly speaking, a black light is a kind of UV light. Black lights emit ultraviolet radiation (UV light). UV is radiation with a wavelength just shorter than that of violet light, which is the shortest wavelength of light in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

sounds reasonable..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. c.free

c.free Active Member

I don’t have a black, or UV light. I probably need to get one. I put the piece in acetone and it came out a bit sticky. Copal I guess. Thanks Ya’ll.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In the case of copal v. amber, that is the best test.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted