AMERICAN BELEEK,AND PICARD BOWL

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nancy Neal, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone, Found this today in one of my stored totes, Had completely forgotten about it I know it is American Beleek, and probably from around 1903, Know that Picard painted for them ,On researching I think I found the mark and because it is a brown Mark, it is rare, Wondering why? and if this is indeed the case, Also if anyone know the name of pattern it might help me to determine value, (not that makes any difference really as pottery .porcelain is dead in the water in this beleekbowl.jpg beleek inside.jpg beleek.jpg beleek2.jpg area,but if it has a decent value it will go with other items for my daughter, Thank you all for any help you can give

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

From what it says in Lehner's this (lovely!) bowl was made by Willets Manufacturing Company of Trenton, NJ. In business from 1879 to 1909. Nothing to do with the company called American Belleek. Unfortunately the entry contains very little information, but it does show this mark.

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Gaston's "American Belleek" says that your Willets mark is the later of their two marks, mid 1880s to 1909. The marks were in red, brown, black, blue, or green. The red, brown, or black marks may be found on factory decorated pieces, and the brown and black marks on non-factory pieces as well. Gaston's theory is that Willets decorated all of their pieces early on, but later used other factories. Even later, they began using green on their non-factory white ware, following the European custom. The blue mark was used only on their Delft type pieces.

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

As always, the maker of the blank doesn't matter when it's decorated by someone else. Focus on Pickard.

judy, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  5. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

The pattern is "Yellow Cherries and Matte Green." Circa 1905-1910.

i need help likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Is the piece artist signed? Pickard pieces usually increase in value if artist signed.
    Don

i need help likes this.
  7. Nancy Neal

Dont know if the A W mark in center of Pickard is the initials.thank you all for your input.

i need help likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The initials of the company founder, Wilder Austin Pickard, on all the marks Ascot references above.

i need help and dgbjwc like this.
  9. Nancy Neal

Thank you all so much, Have finally found a mug with same pattern and marks on RL,and as it is priced fairly high, I think Ill hold on to it, as most I could get for it is around 30.00 again thanks <Have another item Ill post later Has Meissen mark, but I think it is fake, We will see and btw I absolutely love this place.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted