American made wardrobe, 1930s?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Nae, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Nae

Nae New Member

I bought this used spacious wardrobe from someone a few years ago in Brooklyn. I have no information about its provenance. But the little brass labels marking the purpose of each shelf are so intriguing! "HATS" "WOOLLENS" "PYJAMAS" Any idea of its worth? It's in great shape EXCEPT for the fact that my daughter used it for hide and seek and the bottom seam is now compromised and the joints are no longer true there. Dimensions: 65" high with additional 6 inch feet; 43" wide; 22" deep.

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  2. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

"Pyjamas" is the British spelling so likely made in England, probably 30's or 40's. These old wardrobes don't sell for much, probably because modern houses and apartments have larger closets. Look on Craigslist and Facebook in your area to get an idea. In my area, they go for around $50-$150.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, very typically English.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That went a looooong way across the pond. Pre WW2 indeed. Pa had one, the interior fittings are so clever and well thought out.

Oh, and British rather than English. ;)

Nae and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Nae

Nae New Member

Hi Mark,

You probably live outside of a big city! I'm in Brooklyn and most apartments have very little closet space. Most often the closets are quite shallow. This is also more spacious than anything I've seen on Ikea - for the same height. Much deeper. Wondering how I would look for something similar on Craigslist to make a fair quote - what kind of descriptors would work. Thanks!

6. Nae

Nae New Member

Indeed!! Maybe grandparents brought their household over?

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a gentleman's wardrobe here, if that helps. They might well have brought it across.

Nae likes this.
  8. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Hi Nae,

Yes, in areas with older homes and apartments like New York you'll probably have more success than here in Texas, where closets (like everything) is bigger. I saw your posting and it looks good. I bet you'll sell it quickly. Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted