Featured American War of Independence

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by daveydempsey, Dec 20, 2018.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

School project, UK circa 1946.

I found this among paper and photo's in a house clearance, the pupil a girl attended a private school at Radlett, Hertfordshire., aged 10.

The teacher has marked it on the back regarding the spelling of Independence and the fact that she included 20th century Pyrex glass and Fairy soap in the chart.:D

She even used real dried tea under sellotape for the Boston Tea Party.:D

Its a large chart, I had to scan two halves and combine and then reduce the size.

img016-vert.jpg

img018.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Can't imagine an American teacher using the abbreviation n.b. in a note to a 10 year old & expecting to be understood.

3. daveydempsey

Never said the teacher was American, just the subject.

4. Bronwen

Unlike a British teacher, I can't imagine an American teacher... I never said I thought the teacher was American.

5. daveydempsey

Ah right.
    Well it was a private school and they probably did Latin too.
    However it was used at my school and I did not learn Latin.

We don't use the American, Sophomore, Freshman and Semester

6. Bronwen

I didn't learn Latin either. And, if I recall correctly, I learned this particular abbreviation from my mother, not anywhere in my schooling.

i need help and judy like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I guess I didn't learn it during my American schooling because I have no idea what nb means. :confused:

i need help likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nota Bene - take note of (well)

i need help and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Daggum you ;) , Bakersgma, you just brought "Latin" (back) into my mind. I've made myself quite happy over the last few minutes counting from one through twenty in Latin: unus, duo, tre, quator, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem, undecem, duodecem, tredecem, quatordecem, quindecem, sedecem, septemdecem, duodeviginti, undeviginti, viginti. :hilarious:

You even inspired me to go out onto the side porch to look into the sky for stars (of which there were none visible it being a cloudy, rainy night) to recite for my own enjoyment "Mica, mica parva stella . . . ." ("Twinkle, twinkle little star . . . ."). :shame: :rolleyes:

kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:shame: I do what I can. ;)

In 4th year Latin, the teacher designated one student each month as Femina Mensis. And since it was popular at the time, he played Neil Sedaka's Calendar Girl at the ceremony. :hilarious: No idea what he would have done if the best student of the month turned out to be one of the 2 boys. :eek:

kyratango and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We hosted a boys school from Bury many years ago. They were all 12-13 years old and during van rides to various sights the teachers would quiz the boys on various topics and they did use Latin occasionally. We were totally surprised.

kyratango and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted