Featured An early Middle-Eastern Silver Coin Necklace.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by loruca, Jun 16, 2020.

1. loruca

loruca Member

Hello all!
    I had to buy this piece when I saw it as i'd never seen such an old coin necklace before, (not to mention the 26$ price tag!) The seller didn't seem to realize they were selling a real antique. At almost 200 grams of solid unhallmarked silver, it's a middle-eastern, maybe Persian or Arabian, coin necklace, I know a little about coins, and have dated the majority to the 1780-1815 period, they are 10 para coins from the Ottoman Empire and Libya, with in the centre an 1822 Spanish 20 reales piece. Other than this, I am wholly at a loss.
    I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone more knowledgeable!

Laurent

82274044_289293175812830_2756072223877994889_n.jpg 103399672_558495271698373_2535114809545716066_n.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Many of the Para coins from the Ottoman Empire were Nickel so they will have to be tested.

Spanish Real coins are heavily counterfeited the 1822 20 Reales has a catalog price of between $90 and $400 depending on the mintmark so I would be wary of this one too.

None of the coins have any numismatic value as they are worn and have been damaged.

judy, Figtree3, KSW and 4 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Philosophical question. If the coins are 100 & more years old, but the necklace was assembled, let's say 50 years ago, is it or is it not an antique? Not saying it was put together 50 years ago, strictly academic.

judy, KSW and Mugzinnys like this.
  5. loruca

loruca Member

I should have been more clear: when I said I "knew a little about coins" what I really meant was that I'm primarily a coin collector, who, while buying coins, noticed the above necklace, and couldn't resist the urge. The coins are all wholly legitimate, and all date to before nickel was introduced to coinage. The most modern is a regnal year 84 ten para of Mustafa II (1834 AD) In billion, while the oldest, is a 1758 coin of the same type. Most are minted in Constantinople, but some bear the Benghazi mintmark. The 20 reales is a Madrid mint coin, and thus of the "most common" type. As you rightly note, while there could be some surviving value to the coins themselves, if removed from the necklace, it is largely destroyed by the wear, solder, and significant traces of polishing.(Noting as an aside that I'd almost consider a crime the thought of taking apart something so old!) This piece has exited the numismatic world, and entered that of jewelry, where my knowledge is, rather lacking!

judy, Figtree3, KSW and 4 others like this.
  6. daveydempsey

Greco-Bactrian kings circulated the first copper-nickel coins around 235 B.C.

Since that time, many civilizations minted durable, corrosion-resistant coins made from copper-nickel.

I see evidence of verdigris (atmospheric oxidation) of copper near the solder on some of the coins.

I would still test it.

judy, KSW, reader and 2 others like this.
  7. loruca

loruca Member

They are very low grade billon: .458 and lower, as such corrosion is likely, especially on a metal joint such as around solder. Note also the random flecks of yellow paint all over the coins. As to copper-nickel you are quite right, and I do own some greek coins made with naturally nickel-rich alloys, I was referring to the pur(er) nickel coins of the 1860s and upwards. They all touchstone as silver, but as I do have access to an XRF, I will be taking your suggestion and getting a confirmatory check later in the week.

judy, KSW, reader and 1 other person like this.
  8. daveydempsey

At .458 silver content you will appreciate that it is far from almost 200 grams of solid silver.

The Spanish Real if genuine is .903 and $13.81 melt value.
    We don't know the content of the chain.

judy, KSW and reader like this.
  9. loruca

loruca Member

Solid silver as opposed to silver plate, but no, most definitely not pure silver, that's for sure! Would knowing the purity of the chain help in identifying the piece's origin?

judy and KSW like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. an absolute legitimate question, because the Ottoman Empire reached out to the borders of Morocco where to this day the Berber women wear the family fortune in silver. logic that in time of need they were disassembled and reassembled. the only coin that may hint towards a certain era is the Spanish one when Spain was ruling Morocco. the Ottoman coins were probably changing hand in every possible port on the Mediterrean before ending up at the western end of Turkish influence.

judy, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

PS: Was intended to Bronwen, but once more a function is on strike.

judy, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a stunning necklace, Laurent.
    I wonder, what makes you think it is Middle Eastern?
    The presence of Libyan Ottoman coins makes me think it is Ottoman Tripolitanian, so Libyan. Libyans did and do make jewellery, just like the other North Africans.:playful: Antique Libyan jewellery is usually quite heavy, and very collectible too.
    Spanish coins can be found throughout coastal North Africa (formerly known as the Barbary Coast) as a result of piracy or trade. Most piracy had ended by the time this coin was minted, but trade with Mediterranean Europe continued.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    judy, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Laurent, I was just looking at the photos again, and it has two hooks. That means it isn't a necklace but a headchain. The hooks would hook into the turban or headscarf.
    There are different regional women's costumes in Libya, some with beautiful turbans.

Turkey also has costumes with headchains with coins, but the Turkish coin headchains I know have a row of coins of the same size.

I haven't found something like your chain yet, but here you get an idea of a costume and the Libyan love of silver:

upload_2020-6-17_19-9-23.jpeg
    http://fashioan.blogspot.com/2014/05/libyan-traditional-costume.html

14. loruca

loruca Member

Well that's VERY interesting!
    I'd brushed off a family member's comments about the double hook situation earlier, but now it seems I was wrong to do so! I'm left wondering how a piece like this could have been worn... Off to google images I go! As to the origin, I assumed middle eastern due to other similar chain link designs coming from that area, but it's true that given the coin origins, North Africa is more likely!
    LRC

judy, Bronwen, KSW and 3 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

To confuse matters, that type of link is seen a lot in Central Asia.:arghh: But I have a Tunisian necklace with the same links, so North Africa is still likely.:)

Another possibility for the hooks is that it is a chest piece, to be worn hooked into a jacket or coat of sorts.

judy, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what's his name ?

KSW, judy and Bronwen like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

He did a good job, it is lovely. Did he live in Libya?
    Oh, and welcome Olinoah.:)

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

19. Any Jewelry

Absolutely!
    Thanks for finding him, such beautiful paintings, wow.

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I agree, beautiful work! Welcome to the Forum, @Olinoah! :)

Peter Hoesli, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted