Featured An enigmatic vase - help appreciated

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I don't own this. It is on sale via offers. I don't know if I like it, but it is an odd mixture.

What interpretation of what it represents does the group make of it. And what is it reasonable bid.

128928054_1840281509452646_1711283890350763083_o.jpg
    128396943_1840281496119314_8488736611424371442_o (1).jpg

128894695_1840281512785979_4938808919561838460_o.jpg

closeup.jpg

judy, Zeee and Van_Poperin like this.
  2. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Reminds me a little of Dux :) No idea but would love to know more too!

judy, blooey and Brian Warshaw like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Please show the bottom if they posted it, marked or not. If they didn't post it can you ask them to :)

judy and Brian Warshaw like this.
  4. Brian Warshaw

There is definitely something there; but my eyes are not up to it.

129087169_2602328480059298_4363406345271460412_n.jpg

bottom.jpg

judy likes this.
  5. Brian Warshaw

Having searched the internet for her equivalent, and not found it, I now understand what attracted her to me in the instance. Look at her! Her hands, knees, thighs, shoulders; legs and face: they are anatomically perfect (in my eyes).

What ceramicist did work to that quality?

judy likes this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

My opinion only: it isn't the quality of the 'sculpting' that I question, it is the quality of the material used. I believe all the black dots are imperfections not just dirt.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  7. Brian Warshaw

I take your point, and have asked the question of the seller; but I'd be surprised if a sculptor of that quality would use sub-standard materials. We will see.

8. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I don't want to be in any way critical but I just don't see quality in this piece. The figure is pleasant enough but the colouring seems slapdash and imperfect and fairly crude. Depends on how much it is selling for but I don't see it as worth more than £20.

9. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a poorly made imitation of an art nouveau Austrian Amphora Turn Tepliz figural vase.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that explains why it intrigues and puzzles a bit. The idea is there but the execution isn't.

Debora

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agreed

Debora likes this.
  12. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Being strict, she isn’t the same quality as a Royal Dux vase, for example (look at their detailing for comparison), but I know what you mean when you call her perfect. I think these pieces have cachet because the typical art nouveau woman is always in demand (for all they’re so common); they are prized by non-antique/ceramics folk and collectors alike. I’ve got plenty of cheap/imperfect beauties, and I’m very proud of them! Without looking at her in hand I’d agree with @John Brassey and put her at £20, but she has potential beyond that. I’ve seen very obvious knock-offs of good names go on eBay for £50-£60, obviously to people who just like them (and there’s nothing wrong with that).
    Same old rules, every time: 1) buyer beware! Do as much research as possible 2) buy what you like!

13. Brian Warshaw

Thank you all very much, very educational.

I wasn't aware of Royal Dux or Tepliz.

In my untutored way I would say the two sources are excellent with the background work, the fine sculpting - hair, clothes, base vase - my €10 lady (Ebay under Royal Dux, although truthfully proclaimed as not being so) beats them on human beauty - face, limbs, smile, total attitude. The painting was a little rough and slap-dash.

She's not my lady, I only found her there after the reference to Royal Dux.

So once again, thank you all.

antidiem and John Brassey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted